Botox for Sweating - Can Anyone Get Botox for Sweating?

I know all about Botox for wrinkles, but not for underarm sweating. I’m constantly running late in the morning and always forget to put on deodorant, cause the phone’s ringing and my blackberry is blowing up...then I leave and end up smelly by lunchtime! Is Botox for hyperhidrosis for anyone or just people who sweat too much?  Can I get it even if I haven't been diagnosed with hyperhidrosis?

Botox for Hyperhidrosis - deodorant or antiperspirant - Excessive Underarm Sweating -

+4

Botox for Hyperhidrosis - Deodorants or Antiperspirants - Excessive Underarm Sweating

One of the things to remember is that hyperhidrosis is a specialty care and one needs to be evaluated by someone with a special interest in this discipline, not just someone who simply injects Botox.

Remember that there are two types of sweat glands - eccrine and apocrine. The eccrine sweat glands cause the watery sweat (water and salts, especially sodium) . Apocrine sweat forms in hair follicles and sebaceous glands where bacterial growth occurs. Apocrine sweat glands cause the odor associated with sweating.

Unfortunately, most people have excessive sweating from eccrine glands with apocrine sweating causing them to smell the odor.

If you just have odor, use a deodorant. If you have excessive sweating then you can use topical antiperspirants. If these antiperspirants don't work, then one can get Bootox injections.

Hratch L Karamanoukian, MD

Center for Excessive Sweating

www.EliminateSweating.com

Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox effective but expensive antiperspirant if not medically necessary.

+2

Insurance companies are very reluctant to pay for Botox to control excessive sweating. They require documentation of long-standing abnormal difficulty with sweat levels and other failed methods of treatment, and then they make the process for insurance coverage very cumbersome.

Add to that that the Botox does wear off and requires retreatment in a few months.

If you have regular sweating and are skipping your antiperspirant in the morning due to being rushed and stressed, you can get Botox for your sweating, but it will most likely not be covered by insurance, and can cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars per year.

I might advise that you wake up 30 seconds earlier, use a clinical strength antiperspirant daily for 6 months, and then decide if you want to pay for the Botox instead.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Stop sweaty palms with Botox

+2

Botox is a safe, long-lasting method to treat excessive sweating of the palms—one which can significantly improve your symptoms. When Botox is injected into your skin, it blocks the acetylcholine receptors that activate your sweat glands, disabling your ability to sweat in the areas where the Botox has been injected. This treatment has been in use for many years, and studies that have been conducted on its long-term effects have had very positive results.

I attached a video I just created on Botox for sweaty palms

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Only for Hyperhidrosis

+2

Botox is not meant to take the place of a deodorant or antiperspirant. It is to be used for people with hyperhidrosis, or excess sweating.  Botox does this by blocking  the nerve impulses that lead to sweating,

If you have hyperhidrosis you should be evaluated by a dermatologist to ensure that you have primary hyperhidrosis, rather than sweating from a secondary disorder such  as hyperthyroidism, diabetes or a neurologic disorder.

Another method to control hyperhidrosis should be attempted before Botox. If this is done insurance usually will cover the procedure. 

The procedure itself is rather straighforward. Multiple injections are made into each arm pit, just below the skin. Fifty units of Botox are deposited into each axilla. This lasts about six months.

A newer procedure using ultrasonic technology is another method attacking this problem. In many cases the results may be permanent. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox can be a good treatment for hyperhidrosis

+2

I agree with Dr. Kalitenko that other causes of excessive sweating including thyroid disease, diabetes and other endocrine system disorders first ought to be ruled out (though these are uncommon causes).

We have in the past been able to get some insurance companies to pay for Botox injections for hyperhidrosis. Insurance companies usually require documentation that an individual has failed other therapies.

As a start, you may wish to consider an over-the-counter product, Certain Dri which contains 12% aluminum chloride (essentially a low concentration of prescription strength dry-sol).

If that is not adequate, I would suggest you consult your dermatologist.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox stops sweating in anyone

+2

Botox is very effective for underarm sweating in people. The procedure takes about 10 minutes, and it not very painful. The effects last about 6 months.

As this is a surgical treatment and it is expensive, if you don't have hyperhidrosis I encourage you to try other methods before you get Botox injections. There are a variety of over-the-counter and prescription anti-perspirants that you may find are effective for you.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is for excessive sweating...but there's no reason it can't be used to keep the

+1

underarms dry even if you don't meet the precise criteria for the condition...keeping the underarms dry reduces the likelihood of odor since it's the bacteria that grow in the warm, moist dark environment that lead to the odor...but compared to a deodorant it's kind of costly...and by the way, do you ever forget your shoes when you leave the house?

Ken Landow, MD

Botox for sweating - anyone can get it

+1

Although most of the people we treat have excessive or inappropriate sweating (hyperhidrosis), we also treat many celebrities and people who are just tired of sweat stains, dry cleaning bills, odour etc., and there is no problem with this - it works great in both cases.  Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Sweating - Can Anyone Get Botox for Sweating

+1

Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating from the armpits or hands can be treated a board certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this method of treatment. It usually takes 100 units or more in each axilla to treat this condition.  In the hands 50 – 100 units are needed.  The treatment can last from 6 – 12 months.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Botox For Sweating

+1

Yes, you can get Botox even without a diagnosis of hyperhidrosis, however your insurance company will only cover the cost with an official diagnosis from a doctor.  We have used the product in our office for patients who sweat excessively and have had very positive results.  I recommend you talk to your doctor about your options and go from there.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD