Botox Drooping Eyebrow Permanent?

3 months ago I had botox which caused drooping of one eyebrow. Although I now have what seems to be full movement back suggesting the botox has worn off, the eyebrow still droops regularly especially when I'm tired. I think it may be permanent and have read similar stories where it has never gone. Please help. Also will facial exercises help to raise drooping brows or is this a myth? Any other ways I can help myself? Thanks.

Botox drooping eyebrow permanent?

+1

Botox lasts for 3 months on average, and sometimes longer depending on the patient. Botox is not permanent, and any associated side effects should wear off when the Botox does. To help improve the ptosis, apraclonidine eye drops can be used. Apraclonidine is an alpha-andrenergic agonist eye drop. It can cause the muscles to contract, elevating the upper lid. I would recommend speaking with your provider about this option. If necessary, you may also speak with a board certified opthamologist or oculoplastic surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Drooping after Botox

+1

The good news Botox is temporary. Since Botox can last 3 to 4 months you are probably very close to the end of your problem. It could last as long as 6 months. You also may not realize you may have had some assymetry prior but didn't really notice it until you started your treatments. Actually, most people have some assymetry. The Botox should finish wearing off in the near future.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

For better or worse - botox is temporary

+1

For some people "temporary" can be as little as 2 months, and for others  - as long as six months. With repeated use some people are able to see a prolongation of the benefits by a few weeks.

It sounds like your undesirable effects are about ready to disappear since it has been 3 months, and the effect is waning - especially noticeable when you are tired.

So don't give up. And keep in touch with your doctor to assure that this was a learning experience, not to recur. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re: Botox Drooping in Eyebrow

+1

Droopiness can occur if excess amounts of Botox was used.  This is a compound that blocks the release of acetylcholine from the nerves. Without this signal, your muscles will stay relaxed, as you have experienced. However,  as your body metabolizes this chemical, it no longer binds to the acetylcholine release sites. This may take a little while, longer if you are still experiencing some droopiness. However, this is just temporary as the other doctors have noted.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Drooping after Botox for Forehead Lines and Crow's Feet

+1

Thank you for the great question. Botox is temporary. For most patients, the effects last between 3 and 4 months. But for some patients, the effects may be up to 6 months. This will also depend on the dose used. Since you can actively move the muscles, it is likely that you are close to regaining the baseline level of strength required to hold up the brow. This can help to explain why you notice the difference more when you're tired. Regardless, it is important to see your physician to keep him or her informed of the situation and your progress.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and eyelid droop

+1

Botox is temporary, and doesn't cause permanent drooping of your eyelid. Is it possible you never noticed the change in your eyebrows? Visit the link below for all side-effects and to read about cosmetic Botox.

Sam Naficy, MD

The Drooping 3 Months After Botox Injections Will Resolve

+1

Be patient and all will be well. This is still the "temporary" effect from the Botox. You have regained movement but not full strength. Unfortunately, there are no exercises that will help. Hang in there. It will be okay soon.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow droop after Botox/Dysport is not permanent: muscles and "constitutive" tension.

+1

Armstrong, your eyebrow works "actively" now but will soon work "passively" too. What's happening is that you are able to actively flex the muscle to lift the eyebrow, but there is still enough active Botox that when at rest, and when you are tired, the natural underlying "constitutive" tension of the muscle is still overwhelmed by the remaining reduction in live receptors. Your body will slowly regenerate the neuromuscular receptors over the next few months and eventually even when you are tired, the eyebrows will be just as even as they were before Botox.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Botox eyelid droop

+1
Exercises will not help; time will. You are already on the road to improvement but it may take another 3 months for the effect to dissipate. Also, it is wise to look at your pre procedure photos to assess whether there was a pre-existing droop or asymmetry.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Permanent Droop Unlikely with Botox

+1

I believe that it is remotely possible to cause permanent motor nerve damage with an injection needle by physically lacerating the nerve. The nerve which controls the muscle that keeps the brow up is, however, not in the path of a Botox treatment, so it is very unlikely that a Botox treatment can cause irreversible brow droop.

Alexander Lewis, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon