I Have Just Had Botox but Now my Forehead is Shiny and Looks Greasy Why is This?

Shiny forehead after Botox

The side effects of Botox injections may include:

1) Bruising
2) Swelling around the injection site
3) Temporary drooping of the eyelid (ptosis)

A shiny forehead my be a result of the lack of muscle movement in the area. If the muscles in your forehead are not contracting as they would normally, then the area will appear smoother. This smooth appearance can give the illusion of a shinier or greasier forehead. I hope this helps answer your question, and enjoy the result of your Botox treatment!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

6849 Fairview Road
Charlotte, NC 28210

Shiny Forehead After Botox

Botox does not change the oil secretion, so what you may be mistaking for 'greasy' is actually the smoothness of the skin on the forehead.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

2080 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Botox is relaxing the little lines

The botox injections in the forehead are very effective in smoothing the skin.

This does change the way light reflects off, and can give a shiny impression. There is not any change in the actual secretion of oils from the skin, as far as I have been able to research.  

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

2012 South Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526

Shiney forehead after Botox

What you are experiencing after Botox has been injected into your forhead is the relaxation of the forhead muscle and a smoothing of the  overlying skin.  I have noticed over time that people who are consistent Botox users do notice skin across the forehead being smoother, flatter and more luminous.  That can be confused with oiliness but it is not.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

800 Pollard Road
Los Gatos, CA 95032

Botox and forehead appearance

As the muscle in your forehead is relaxed, the skin appears smoother. More oil production appearing "greasy" isn't a side effect of the treatment.

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Forehead change after botox

After a Botox treatment you will notice the muscles do not contract in the treated area as they did prior to treatment, so the forehead may look different in the light but Botox should not cause increase in greasiness.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

230 George Bush Blvd
Delray Beach, FL 33444

Forehead looks shiny after Botox

When muscles move the light diffuses on them differently casting shadows and such. When the muscles don't move, like when you have Botox, and the area appears more flat, the light reflects differently (more flatly) and the area can look shiny.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117