Botox Affecting Upper Lip Movement?

Can Botox for crows feet and frown lines affect your upper lip? I can't move my right upper lip and I look deformed when I smile.

Botox for crow's feet affecting a smile

+1

If the crow's feet are injected with Botox too far down the cheek, it can affect the muscles that raise the cheek when smiling.  The result is a drooping of the mouth on the affected side.  The effect will probably last 8 to 10 weeks and will then resolve.  Please see an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatments.

Toronto Dermatologist

Do not panic; it will go away

+1

If this is from the Botox inection don’t panic. It will go away, but in can take a few months. If the Crows feet are injected at the bottom and your muscle which allows you to smile is a strong muscle and is prominent near the lower Crows feet than it may have been temporarily affected.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Yes, if it migrates

+1

Some less experienced injectors, when attempting to improve lower crow's feet, accidentally hit the zygomatic major muscle. This would result in an inability to smile on that side. It is, unfortunately, going to last at least one month, but will go away completely by 4 months. good luck.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Possible but not likely

+1

Generally, when Botox is injected for treatment of the crow's feet, it is placed superficially into the orbicularis oculi muscle. Very deep to these alon the cheek bone are the zygomatic muscles which move the upper lip. Botox usually remains very localized and it is unlikely that it would spread this deep if injected superficially but it is a possiblity.

The difficult thing to predict about Botox is that no matter who injects it, it can spread up to 3 cm from the injection site. It is kind of similar to predicting an ink spot.

So the answer to your question is, yes it is possible but not likely in the hands of an experienced injector.

Shouldn't, but maybe?

+1

I assume that the crows feet and frown lines were around your eyes. I am hard pressed to understand how the Botox could affect your smile/lip function. However, you are experiencing some loss of function. I would run this by your doctor. The good news is that it will only be temporary, but still check.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD