Resuming Normal Routines After Botox and Juvederm?

Can I resume normal rountines such as exercising and riding motorcycle, following Botox and Juvederm injections?

Call your treating doctors office and ask what they recommend.

+2

Dear Lirpa

Generally I recommend no exercise for 24 hours after a BOTOX and filler treatment. I am concerned that a lot of activity right after treatment could result in bruising. I think extending this restriction to motorcycle riding is also prudent but if your helmet has a full face mask, you are probably OK. Goggle would be another story altogether. Tight goggles resting where the Juvederm was inject could potentially move this material around. After a few days it is much harder for this to occur. Again, best to ask your specific treating physician.

Botox and Post-op Restrictions

+1
Botox injections can travel somewhat after injection and I always ask my patients to remain upright for several hours after injections and to refrain from exercise.  Juvederm does not have the same restrictions although I tell my patients not to massage the treated area immediately after injections.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with facial fillers.

Michele S. Green, MD

My advice

+1

There are no severe restrictions following the injections of Juvederm and Botox. However, I would advise staying away from the gym for the day, as well as avoiding touching the injection sites. Also, I would resume avoiding certain items such as aspirin, ibuprofen, omega fish oil and vitamin E, a week before and two days after injections in order to minimize the bruising. Otherwise this is why injections are considered a “lunch time” treatment, because you can go right back to work after.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes

+1

The great thing about many of the adjuncts we use in plastic surgery is that you can get them and be back to your normal routine almost immediately. The only thing you have to be concerned with after receiving Botox or dermal fillers is increased blood pressure which can lead to bruising. Strenuous activity will increase blood pressure so this is to be avoided for 48 hours after injection. After is there's no risk so get back to the gym and out on the road.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Resuming Exercise and Activities After Injectables

+1

Thanks for your question -

Anytime strenuous activity happens after a procedure there is an increased risk of bleeding. The timing of when a patient can resume activities is dependent on the procedure and the techniques used during surgery. These are issues best discussed with your treating plastic surgeon.

Generally, injectables have a low incidence of post-procedure bleeding. In our San Francisco area office we advise patients to not engage in strenuous activity for 48 hours after Botox or injectables.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Botox, Juvaderm, Restylane, etc.: minimal limitations

+1

Lirpa:

After having an injectable filler (hyaluronic acid, Juvaderm, Restylane) or neurotoxin (BotoxCosmetic) we advise patients that they can resume non-strenuous activities immediately.

Vigorous activities, like some of those you mention, we suggest waiting 24 hours or so. I would also suggest avoiding activities that deeply rub or put pressure on the recently treated areas.

As you can see from the posts on this site, doctors vary on their recommendations. You should choose an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, dermatologist, ophthalmologist or otolaryngologist, then follow their recommendations.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Few restrictions following injections

+1

Some practitioners feel that there should be a 4-6 hour period of rest following these injections. This may be based more on the prevention of bruising rahter than effecting the results. However, these restriction are generally considered anecdotal in nature.

There are other concerns such as displacing the Botox and your physician may have a particular bias when it comes to post-injection care. I would heed their advice.

No restrictions after Botox or Juvederm

+1

Yes, there are no restrictions after Botox and/or Juvederm.  The only caution that I give my patients is to avoid rubbing their eyes for the first few hours after Botox injections.  Otherwise, you can get right back to your activities without restriction.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Yes

+1

You should be able to do your normal stuff the same day.  You may want to wait about a day or so so minimize bruising & swelling.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD