Instead of Botox Can Collagen Be Used Instead?

Different products

+1

Collagen has no role in any browlifting procedure. It is a filler than can be used to increase volume. Botox can be used to achieve a mild "chemical" browlift by weakening the muscles that depress the brow.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox vs. collagen

+1

These two have completely different uses and work differently. Botox paralyses the muscles and collagen is a type of filler

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Can collagen be used instead of Botox?

+1

Botox has a completely different function and will not be used to generate the same effects as collagen. Botox is derived from Botulinum Toxin type A, and works primarily to paralyze the muscles in a given area causing wrinkles to smooth. Collagen stimulators such as Sculptra stimulate the body to make collagen and add volume to the face. What specific area was bothering you? In general, Botox works great for crow's feet, bunny lines, the glabella, wrinkles on the forehead, and smoker's lines above the upper lip. I would recommend a consult with an experienced physician to determine the best option for you based on your needs. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Botox versus Filler

+1

While both Botox or Dysport and fillers are used, for example, to address aging of the face, they work in completely different ways, and therefore are used very differently. In fact, simply swapping the two could produce very undesirable results. 

A basic, simple explanation: 

Botox is injected into the muscle (in the face there are many) to paralyze that muscle; you can imagine that injecting it into the wrong place could be a problem! In the right place, it is effective and safe.

Fillers are essentially injected into the wrinkle, line, or fold. Adding volume is the goal, and that's how you see results.

To achieve ideal results for my patients, I often use both products as part of my palette!

Barbara Persons, MD, FACS
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Using collagen in lieu of Botox

+1

No, Botox cannot be used in place of collagen. Botox is a paralyzing agent with different functions and goals than fillers, such as collagen.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

+1

Botox is very helpful for treating lines and wrinkles caused by muscle movement. Fillers are used to plump temples, cheeks, lips and to fill static (non-moving) lines and folds in the face. Collagen has been replaced by more modern fillers that do not require skin testing. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon