Can I Still Get Botox After a Stroke?

I had a Stroke in 2004, which affected the right side of my face for eight months. Now that I'm fine, I was wondering if it's possible to get Botox on my face? Thank you.

I would speak with your neurologist before having...

+2

Hi Boogie,

I would speak with your neurologist before having anything done.  Most likely it would be fine to have Botox in your face 4 years after a stroke that you have recovered from, but still get clearence from your  "stroke" doctor first.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Botox after a stroke

+1

Botox cosmetic can be used on the face as long as it is ok with your medical doctor. It should have no effect on your previous stroke other than limiting motion of the muscles treated with the Botox.

Botox is fine after a prior stroke

+1

You should have no problems with botox because of a prior stroke.  The botox effect (preventing specific muscles from wrinkling the skin) is temporary, so you will require additional treatments in the future.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Botox is okay after a stroke

+1

Botox is used to temporarily paralyze the underlying muscle to smooth out the overlying skin. This is most effective around the eyes for the "crow's feet," between the eyebrows for the frown lines, and in the forehead for wrinkles.  Botox will not affect your previous stroke symptoms and will not cause you to have another stroke.  I often use Botox in patients who previous had strokes to help restore some balance to their face.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox and stroke

+1

A stroke doesn't necessarily prohibit you from getting botox. That being said, if the stroke interferes with eyelid closure, botox around the eyes may be a problem. Talk to your injector and discuss what is the best option for you.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox after a stroke?

+1

Since it has been over five years, for the most part, I believe you are okay to receive Botox injections. However, I would recommend an input from your neurologist on the matter before proceeding.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Check with your neurologist before receiving Botox after a stroke

+1

Before receiving Botox after having had a stroke, it is important to consult with your neurologist to make sure that there are no other neurological issues that may be causing muscle imbalance or other facial symptoms. After a neurological evaluation, Botox may successfully be used to help erase cosmetic wrinkles in the face.

For more information on Botox or to schedule an iConsult, please visit us online at: 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Botox after facial paralysis from a stroke?

+1

Hello Boogie. It should be fine to have Botox as long as you have fully recovered from the stroke, do not have any other neurological disorders and have the approval the physician that treated you for the stroke.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

BOTOX after stroke

+1

Presuming that you are neurologically stable with no other events in the past few years, I would have your neurologist/stroke doctor confirm and then there would be no theoretical reason why there should be a problem with BOTOX. I have corrected Bell's palsy asymmetries quite successfully with BOTOX. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox after a stroke

+1

If your whatever neurologic issue you had 5 years ago (stroke / TIA / bell's palsy ) has resolved totally, I would not have a conceptual problem with using Botox for a cosmetic reason. It is EXTREMELY important to clear from the start that you do NOT have ANOTHER neuromuscular condition (such as Eaton Lambert, Myasthenia Gravis etc) in which cases you would be VERY sensitive to the Botox and MAY suffer a serious complication.