How Long Do Botox Toxins Stay in Your Body?

I've had botox injections for the last two years. I had a particularly strong injection last February that froze my forehead for 6 months, and I have not had any since then, and will probably never get it again.

My question is: is there any botox still in my body? It has been 10 months now--is my body clear of the toxin?

All Clear with Botox

+3

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Botox.

If your facial muscles that were injected 10 months ago are moving again then it is likely that the Botox is out of your system.

In some patients who have had Botox consistently for more than two years, there is an anti-aging effect even after the Botox has worn off. There are fewer lines, and the quality of the skin tone and texture improves.

Be well.

Dr. P

Botox lasts 3-4 months

+2

I am sorry about your experience but you can relax, after 3-4 months Botox does clear out of your system. Botox stays only where injected, it does not roam through the body but attaches to the muscles where injected. Make sure you seek out an experienced injector next time and start with smaller doses.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox in Body

+1

For most patients, botox will stay in your body for 3 - 6 months.  For patients who have used the product continually for a long period of time, the duration in the system will increase. An experienced and expert injector will create a natural look.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox "toxin" isn't as scary as it sounds

+1

Botox is a protein.  This protein actively binds to and deactivates a specific type of nerve, the ones that control voluntary muscles, sweat glands, and saliva glands.  The "toxin" description is only in the event that the deactivated nerves are important to life function, like breathing for example.  Typical volumes of Botox injected into the face for cosmetic purposes are too small to have any impact on any "life function". . .by a lot. 

Botox protein is "digested" by the body naturally over a few months.  It has never been shown to do anything except as noted above and has been in use for more than 20 years.  The most dangerous part of coming to my office for a Botox injection, is the drive to the office. . . again, by a lot.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Duration

+1

Botox is metabolized over 3 to six months.  Botox is never permanent and is completely metabolized and excreted and does not remain in your body.

David Shafer, MD

Botox in body

+1

The Botox binds to the receptor sites of the muscle fibers and gradually gets broken down over 4-5 months. I would not worry too much that there is any around at 2 years.

Botox leaves body after 4-5 months

+1

Botox is a medicine that is injected around your muscles to help relax them. Your muscles may take up to a week to finally absorb all the Botox. The Botox remains in your body no more than 4-5 months.

For more information on Botox or to schedule an iConsult, please visit us online at: 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Botox all gone after 4 or 5 months.

+1

Hi.

I would not give up on Botox just because you had a bad treatment.  Botox is extremely safe (calling it a toxin is really misleading).  You just need a skilled doctor.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How long do Botox toxins stay?

+1

Botox will generally stay in the body for about 3-4 months. For those that have used the product continually for a period of time, this may be longer.

To determine if Botox is still working after 10 months try raising your eyebrows. If the muscles in the forehead cause horizontal creased wrinkles to form, then the effects are gone.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD