Lower Body Lift or Extended Abdominoplasty?

I had a gastric band placed two years ago and now I'm ready to shed my excess midsection. What is the difference between lower body lift and extended or circumferential abdominoplasty? What would you recommend based on the attached photo?

Lower Body Lift or Extended Abdominoplasty

I think I would perform a lower body Lift and later some liposuction to obtain a good contour.  I would always recommend some weight loss and/or an exercise program prior to surgery so that maximal muscle metabolism can help you with your figure as well.

Lower Body Lift v. Extended Abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question and photo.  Most folks who have lost a substantial amount of weight have a large amount of extra stretched out skin.  The lower body lift takes away more of the lax skin than does an extended abdominoplasty.  The lower body lift improves adjacent areas including buttock, back, lateral thigh, abdomen, pubis and inner thigh.  An extended abdominoplasty works well for the right body type, but usually a greater contouring is possible with the LBL.  Arrange for an in person exam with a surgeon certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery and experienced in weight loss  surgery, so that you can decide on the best plan for yourself.  Check their website for before and after photos.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Lower Body Lift

Lowe Body lift is a surgery that improved abdomen, pubic area inner thighs , lateral thighs and buttock.  Extended tummy tuck  the incision will extend to the back but no lifts or thigthing effect in the thighs.

Extended abdominoplasty or belt-lipectomy

Based on the one photo you've submitted, it looks to me like most of your skin excess in front, extending a little towards the sides of the torso, but not so much in the back.  Therefore, I would recommend the "Extended abdominoplasty" for you, as a first step.  This would take care of many of the figure issues in the photo.

Choose wisely based on your needs and expectations

Congratulations on your weigfht loss, you will live a longer better life becasue of it!  In terms of which procedure to perfrom it really depends on your desires and expectations. An extended tummy tuck will improve you abdomen onto flanks but does little to improve the outer thighs and nothing to change your buttocks.  A circumferential body lift will address all these regions.  Remember the way you fit into clothes and ultimately the dress size you become will depend on the size, shape, and contour of your buttocks and outer thighs as well.  Finances and recovery are always a concern, so discuss these points with your surgeon.   Good luck with the  procedure you choose.

Lower Body Lift vs. Extended Tummy Tuck

A lower body lift generally refers to a procedure known as a belt lipectomy a.k.a. circumferential body lift. These procedures are usually tailored for a patient who has experience significant weight loss or have excess skin and fat extended to their back/flanks and buttock areas. These procedures are designed to recontour the entire waist and lower trunk.

They include 3 procedures:

•Tummy Tuck
•Waist lift/lateral thigh lift
•buttock lift

On the other hand, an extended tummy tuck focuses on the anterior abdomen and waist. I often perform liposuctioning of the waist to help contour this area too.

If your concerns are the anterior tummy and waist, I would likely guide you to an extended tummy tuck with lipo of the waist.  Hope this helps.

Body Contouring after Massive Weigh Loss

It is difficult to see if you have significant amount of tissue to be removed posteriorly, but from the photos I would say not.  I would recommend an extended abdominoplasty from what you have given me.

A lower body lift is just that, it combines an abdominoplasty procedure with a lateral thigh and buttock lift.  The incisions are circumferential.  Sometime a circumferential tummy tuck may be needed without doing a formal lower body lift.  These three procedures should not be confused with one another.  Some surgeons may use the term circumferential tummy tuck and lower body lift interchangeably.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Tummy Tuck Or Body Lift?

I dont see a lot of skin excess in the back and buttock area, so I would go with a tummy tuck.  You have an apple shaped figure with a fair amount of fat that seems to remain in the upper abdomen.  I might suggest that your results will be much nicer if you plan on some weight loss before and after surgery.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Thanks for the excellent photo. My choice is the extended or circumferential tummy tuck for your first step in the make over. Seek 3 opinions from boarded PS in your area. 

Big difference between the two

Terminology in this field is very important and different surgeons may mean different things when using these terms. An abdominoplasty is designed to address the excess skin of the abdomen. An extended abdominoplasty by definition will make the incisionis longer to address the excess skin of the abdomen extending into the flanks. This operation does not address excess skin of the outer thighs or buttocks.
If you have lax skin and localized fat of the outer thigh and buttock, and your flank area remains full then a lower body lift is a better aesthetic operation for you. This is an important difference which you  must discuss with your surgeon.
You may only be concerned with the abdominal component of your body and so the extended abdominoplasty may be a choice you make. I have on occcasion performed the abdominoplasty as a staged procedure for patients who were unsure of the extent of surgery they wished to have. Some have come back for the thigh and buttock lift and some have been pleased with the improvements the abdominoplasty has made. You can only make an educated decision when you have all the information.
Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon