Lower Body Lift or Extended Abdominoplasty?

I had a gastric band placed two years ago and now I'm ready to shed my excess midsection. What is the difference between lower body lift and extended or circumferential abdominoplasty? What would you recommend based on the attached photo?

Lower Body Lift or Extended Abdominoplasty

+4

I think I would perform a lower body Lift and later some liposuction to obtain a good contour.  I would always recommend some weight loss and/or an exercise program prior to surgery so that maximal muscle metabolism can help you with your figure as well.

After gastric band, 360 or circumferential Body lift or extended tummy tuck?

+2

Dear Jennifernc88,

Based on your picture I would suggest you have a lower body lift. This will help eliminate skin and fat from the abdomen, lateral thighs, and buttocks. I believe if you only do an abdominoplasty or extended abdominoplasty, you will be left with significant dog ears on your hips and the buttocks.

These medical procedures are often covered by medical insurance. Good luck with your weight-loss journey.

Sincerely, Dr.Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Lower Body Lift

+2

Lowe Body lift is a surgery that improved abdomen, pubic area inner thighs , lateral thighs and buttock.  Extended tummy tuck  the incision will extend to the back but no lifts or thigthing effect in the thighs.

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Big difference between the two

+2
Terminology in this field is very important and different surgeons may mean different things when using these terms. An abdominoplasty is designed to address the excess skin of the abdomen. An extended abdominoplasty by definition will make the incisionis longer to address the excess skin of the abdomen extending into the flanks. This operation does not address excess skin of the outer thighs or buttocks.
If you have lax skin and localized fat of the outer thigh and buttock, and your flank area remains full then a lower body lift is a better aesthetic operation for you. This is an important difference which you  must discuss with your surgeon.
You may only be concerned with the abdominal component of your body and so the extended abdominoplasty may be a choice you make. I have on occcasion performed the abdominoplasty as a staged procedure for patients who were unsure of the extent of surgery they wished to have. Some have come back for the thigh and buttock lift and some have been pleased with the improvements the abdominoplasty has made. You can only make an educated decision when you have all the information.
Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body lift vs Extended Abdominoplasty

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.   I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in body contouring procedures.     

Based on your photo, I do not see much excess skin in your buttock and hip area.   I would therefore recommend an extended abdominoplasty.  

I would recommend visiting with your bariatric surgeon and nutritionist to ensure that you are at an optimal weight to undergo  the procedure.   I typically find patients have a lower risk of complications and achieve better results when they undergo surgery at the lightest weight possible. 

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

What is a lower body lift?

+1

A lower body lift is also referred to as  circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Bodylift or Extended Abdominoplasty

+1

The difference is that if you have significant redundant skin circumferentially around your body after your weight loss with a positive grasp test including the upper buttock area then you would be a candidate for a bodylift. Liposuction is done concomitantly in these areas as well for improved shape and contour in the lateral flank area.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.

I would highly recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss all of your options. I would want to see some additional photos .. but from the photo that you have posted, it seems that you would benefit from an extended tummy tuck procedure.

It is always best to be at your lowest weight possible prior to surgery.  For larger procedures, sometimes it is better to proceed with surgeries one at a time to ensure safety.

Please make sure that your surgeon has experience with performing procedures on patients who have had significant weight loss.

Best Wishes!

Extended abdominplasty or lower body lift? Which is best?

+1

One photograph is not the same as a physical exam by an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon, but if you have reached a stable healthy weight, it appears that an extended tummy tuck will provide the improvements you seek. You require extended (longer) incisions since the excess skin goes pretty far back towards the hip and buttock area. Tummy tuck alone would likely yield large residual "dog ears" which would require more surgery to give the best and smoothest results.

It does not look as if your skin laxity includes the buttocks region, but that again is best determined by physical examination. If indeed these areas have loose skin, then you may benefit more from a full circumferential belt lift (lower body lift). I do not know of anyone who uses the term circumferential abdominoplasty, but I would assume this is meant to be the same as a lower body lift  or circumferential belt lift! Good luck!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Extended abdominoplasty or belt-lipectomy

+1

Based on the one photo you've submitted, it looks to me like most of your skin excess in front, extending a little towards the sides of the torso, but not so much in the back.  Therefore, I would recommend the "Extended abdominoplasty" for you, as a first step.  This would take care of many of the figure issues in the photo.

Thomas Fiala, MD