Will Lower Body Lift Remove Some of my Tattoo?

I have a full back tattoo that goes down to the crack of my butt and I was wondering if I would loose some of my tattoo if I had a Lower body lift. I am pretty thin, I just want the lift to tighten up skin and reduce cellulite. I don't have severe loose skin like someone who lost 100 + pounds.

Tattoo

+2

Would really need to see a picture. I a true LBL is needed then I am afraid you will probably lose a small portion of the tattoo right at the butt crack.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lower Body Lift Skin Removal Effecting Tattoo

+1
Thank you for your question. Without an exam or photographs it would be hard to say specifically how much of your tattoo would be effected. Most likely, the skin around the top portions of your hips or buttocks will be taken in order to get the shape you are looking for. Incision placement can be varied and the affect on your tattoo could be thought through with you in person during your consultation. Best of luck.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Lower body lift to remove loose skin

+1

A LBL is not for tattoo removal.  It is to treat excess loose skin.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  The buttock lift can also include buttock augmentation.  The lateral thigh lift will help contour the lateral aspect of your thighs.  The procedure can taken between 5-7 hours depending on the amount of tissue/skin that needs removal/treatment.  

Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Will my tattoo be altered with a 360 body lift?

+1

Dear Annisa,

This is a difficult question to answer without examining you in person.  Typically, when I perform a 360 body lift, I do not remove much skin over the buttock crease.  However, as I extend the incision toward to the hips, more skin and fat is removed.  The more excessive the skin, the more that is removed. I would guess, if you had a 360 body lift, the portion of your tattoo closest to your hips would be removed slightly and the portion of your tattoo over the buttock crease would be unchanged.  I do not believe that your tattoo would be pulled down because the vector for the 360 body lift pulls the buttock upwards, not really downwards.  Good luck on your weight loss journey. 

SIncerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Lower body lift and tattoo on back

+1

Without examining you and the exact placement of your tattoo, it's difficult to say but from what you are describing, it sounds like your tattoo may be affected by the lower body lift.

Your plastic surgeon should be able to draw things out and show you how much he/she thinks would be affected.

Best Wishes!

Lower body lift and full back tattoo to buttock crease--Yes, it will be "trimmed."

+1

If you are indeed a candidate for lower body lift, the incision runs from the tip if the gluteal crease along what would be a thong or g-string panty line, communicating with the same bikini-line scar from the front tummy tuck portion of the beltlift. Depending on the lowest extent of your tattoo at the buttock crease and upper buttock-hip areas, it may end up being partially included in the excised skin. If so, the tattoo can always be re-inked after complete healing!   

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tattoos and body lift

+1

Yes, it does sound like your tattoo would be affected somewhat.  In the design of the body lift, typically more skin is excised in the zone over the middle portion of the buttock, and somewhat less in the midline of your back.  The amount of tattoo removal would, of course, correspond with the amount of skin removal.  You could re-ink the missing portion of your art at a later date, though. 

All the best!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Lower body lift and tattoo

+1

Commonly a lower body lift incision runs along the upper border of the butttocl crease, so it will likely remove some or all of the tattoo in this region.

Very likely.

+1

If you have a full lower body lift it sounds like you might lose some that that tattoo. An extended abdominoplasty would not go as far around and might spare it. I would need to see you to tell you more.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tattos may shift or be removed with a lower body lift

+1

The fate of your tattoo really depends on the exact placement of it, and where you want your scar to end up.  Based on what you've written, it sounds like i would elect to remove part of it because the scar (that I typically would create) runs right through that area.  On the other hand, if you chose to have a scar that was higher along the waistline (above the panty line) then you might be able to keep the tattoo.  Again, I have NEVER done this because scars should be hidden by typical bathing suits and undergarments, but it is an option if you wished.

Thomas P. Sterry, MD