Blepharoplasty - How Long for Suture Removal? (photo)

I had the surgery 6 days ago on a Wed. I was originally told at the consultation sutures would be removed in 7 days. When I looked at my appointment, I seen it was scheduled for 12 days post op. I called the office to get a sooner appointment, as the sutures are extremely pruritic. I was told he is on vacation in Hawaii unitl the Monday I am sceduled. From everything I read, sutures should be left in 5-7 days, certainly no longer than 10. Should I remove them? I'm an ARNP with little removal exp

Awareness..

+1

In my practice I routinely removed sutures in 5 to 7 days. I would advise that you ask the doctor’s office to contact the doctor to confirm that 12 days would be an acceptable time. I would suspect that unless there was a clear indication for sutures to be removed this far out that the surgeon would prefer to have the sutures removed earlier. It is an option to consider having someone such as another physician or a nurse or related health professional who routinely performs this type of suture removal to perform this; however your physician should be kept aware of these activities.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

When to remove sutures

+1

I would not suggest ypu do it but they can be removed any time.Usually leaving them in a few extra days will cause no problems

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Too long

+1

I remove eyelid sutures as early as 3 days, and certainly no more than 7-8 days. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to get them removed, and increased risk of visible scar, though this risk is low in upper eyelid because it is well hidden.

Be assertive with the office staff of your surgeon.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty - How Long for Suture Removal?

+1

I generally agree with my colleagues answers. I use only reabsorbable sutures in the eyelids so they don't need to be removed. However, I do trim any remaining suture fragments at 5-7 days. I hope that you will post followup and let us know how things worked out for you. I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't remove your own sutures. Further, whenever a plastic surgeon leaves town we always line up someone to care for our patients. Hopefully that physician or nurse was made available to you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing for Eyelid Suture Removal

+1

Eyelid sutures come in two varieties: absorbing and non absorbing. When absorbing sutures are used typically they are rapid absorbing types and do not need to be removed. 
From your photos you have permanent  sutures (they appear to be prolene) which typically are removed at post op day 3-5 in my office. I would call his office and ask them to make arrangements for your sutures to be removed.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

If you cannot reach your doctor, check with the doctor on call.

+1

This is a question that should be answered by your doctor or a doctor who knows what your doctor would recommend.  Eyelid sutures are usually removed sooner than 12 days.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelid sutures

+1

usually sutures are removed withina  week.  Contact the doctor's office for the correct follow-up with him or an associate.

Three days for suture removal is unusually little healing time but 5 to 7 days is standard.

+1

I agree with my colleagues, get these suture out.  Call the office and raise hell.  The practice is possibly signed out to someone.  Perhaps there is a nurse in the office who can remove the suture.  Otherwise get a referral for suture removal.  Hawaii is only an email away.  The office can you someone to see.

How Long?

+1

You need medical attention now, not later.  Call the office back and get a referral for an immediate follow-up!  Do not mess with the sutures yourself.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Usually sutures are removed 5-7 days after surgery. Each practice is different, you should not attempt to remove the sutures yourself that area is very sensitive and you can hurt yourself.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS