Will Bruising After Blepharoplasty Go Away?

I still have some bruising a month after lower eyelid surgery to remove bags. Will this ever go away? I have what seems like dark circles directly under eyes. I never had this problem before. Will this clear up?

Patience is a virtue after Blepharoplasty

+5

Reasons for dark circles after surgery:

1. Prexisting skin pigmenation - not your problem

2. Thin skin with appearance of blood vessels under the skin - also something that you would have noticed before surgery.

3. bruising or blood under the skin - this is the likely reason; It can take up to 6 months for this to go away. Some people swear by topical vitamin K or arnica as a way to hasten improvement. However, there are no studies to prove them right.

4. Blood trapped behind the orbital septum - there is a small recess along the bony rim where blood can collect and stayed for months. This too will dissipate over time.

Bruising from eyelid surgery will clear up in time

+3

Hi Becky,

If it is bruising, it should clear up. Some patients heal within two to three weeks and other patients it takes months. It just depends on each individual and exactly what was done. There are many variations of lower blepharoplasty procedures.

If you still have the dark circles under your eyes after you have given it some more time, it could possibly be something else besides bruising. At this point, it may be time to pay another visit to your plastic surgeon and have him/her exam you. They should be able to advise you on your condition, and how to treat.

As for now, there are supplements that can maybe help with the discoloration and make-up is always a quick fix.

Thanks for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Bruisestick ointment for eyelid surgery bruising

+2

I would begin pulsed dye laser therapy and use a Bruisestick ointment on the skin three times daily. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Bruising can sometimes take months

+2

Bruising from blepharoplasty surgery can sometimes take months to go away. Let me ask you a question: Have you ever had a black and blue mark when you were a kid or even a year ago? Do you still have it? All bruises go away but just take time. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too soon to tell for sure

+2

At one month after lower lid surgery, most patient's bruising is gone but in your case there could still be some staining of the tissues from blood in the tissues or a variety of other issues. Ask your doctor what he or she thinks. Be patient, massage the tissues towards your ear and give it another 2-3 months.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Bruising after blepharoplasty

+2

In my experience in over 30 yrs. it does .Some patients will be well along in the process in 2 to3 wks. and some may take 2 to 3 mos. There is often some relation to skin type and to the type of surgical proceedure you had.

Patience is the watch word here and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

How long does bruising after blepharoplasty last?

+1
First of all thank you for your question.  Everyone heals at a different rate.  It can take any where from 2 weeks to 2-3 months for bruising to resolve.  You may try Arnica Gel to help the bruising dissipate.  As always I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to make sure there isn't some other issue going on.  Best of Luck.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and eyelid surgery

+1
A faint amount of bruising may still exist even a month after surgery.  Make sure you see your surgeon to make sure there isn't some other issue, but in general this is not uncommon and will gradually resolve.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Will bruising after a blepharoplasty go away

+1
 Most visible bruising and swelling after a blepharoplasty has dissipated  at 2 weeks. On a rare occasion a bruise may last upwards of 3-4 weeks, and in some select individuals that extended bruise can lead to something called hemosiderin deposits. This is a condition where the iron pigments from the red blood cells are trapped in the skin on the lower lids and this can take upwards of 6 months to go away. Makeup and re-assurance and time is usually  all that it is required. for many examples of eyelid surgery, please see the link to our blepharoplasty photo  Gallery

Bruising Following Blepharoplasty

+1

The degree and duration after blepharoplasty varies from patient to patient and technique to technique. Bruising will always go away. A bruise is the result of blood trapped in the tissues under the skin. Over time, this blood is broken down and the components reabsorbed into your system.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon