Under Eye Wrinkle Treatment with Blepharoplasty

I am scheduled for an upper Blephroplasty . For under my under eye wrinkle, what would be most effective and longer-lasting treatment? Will TCA Peel or Fraxel CO2 Laser work?

Under eye wrinkle treatment: Depends On The Amount Of Wrinkles

+2

Wrinkles of the lower lids come from mild to severe. In severe cases only surgery will help. If the wrinkles are mild to moderate than I'm a firm believer in first, tretinoin, then peels such as the Vi Peel, then possibly Botox. I have yet to be thrilled by any laser. Perhaps fractionated CO2 will help but you have to consider the pros and cons.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

under eye wrinkle treatment

+1
 The primary goal for lower eye lid surgery is to remove the fatty deposits creating the puffiness look. In patients over 45 years of age, most  will need a pinch technique to remove the excess skin present at rest on the lower lids. This pinch technique is incision placed at the lash line and closed with tissue glue in our practice.
 Other treatments such as fractionated laser and TCA peel are acceptable once  you have removed any excess skin. For many examples, please see the link below to our eyelid surgery photo  gallery

Web reference: http://www.eyelids.com

Choices for lower eyelid rejuvenation

+1

You would be a candidate for a  lower eyelid  blepharoplasty.     You have herniation of orbital fat causing bags of the lower lids with lack of soft tissue fullness.  These features can be corrected with a lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  If the condition is only lose skin then you may want to consider SmartSkin or  SmartXide microablative fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing.   A consult would be needed to advise you which procedure would meet your expectations.

+1

I agree that if the area under the eyes has fat bags and loose skin then a lower blepharoplasty must be performed either by transconjunctival or external approach. For fine lines I would use a ViPeel if there were no fat pads or significant loose skin.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/blepharoplasty.html

Resurfacing treatment for management of fine or significant wrinkles under the eyes

+1

For management of fine or even more significant wrinkles under the eyes, I suggest that you consider some kind of resurfacing treatment.  A fractional CO2 laser could be used or a tunable resurfacing laser could be used to smooth away the wrinkles and tighten the skin in this lower eyelid area. 

While a TCA peel is effective in tightening the skin to a small degree, it is much more effective for treatment of pigmentation irregularities, and improvement of skin tone and texture.  A resurfacing technique would certainly be more effective and long-lasting versus the TCA peel.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers go away!

+1

Lasers have been unimpressive and any clinical data is lacking. The best you can say about lasers is that they sound cool!

The best way to treat your lower lid wrinkles:

Daily: Retin-A, anti-oxidants, and sunblock

Weekly to monthly: chemical peels (many kinds - whatever you tolerate), Lactic acid, Jessner's, Glycolic acid, Obagi, weak TCA

Yearly to longer: Strong Chemical peels like TCA or Phenol

Chemical peel of the lower eyes is common for fine lines.

+1

I like to use TCA peel for the lower eyes. The depth of the peel is fairly controllable and predictable and it works really well to get rid of fine lines on the lower eyes. It also helps tighten the skin a little, which is an added benefit. Chemical peel of the lower eyes is not a substitute for lower eyelid surgery. Lower eyelid surgery is done to remove excess skin and fat bulges from the lower eyes. Chemical peel is done to improve the quality of the eyelid skin. If it is the fine lines around the lower eyelids that is the problem, I definitely recommend a chemical peel for this area.

Good luck!

Why don't you have your lower eyelids operated on also?

+1

Hi! I don't think Fraxel does much. Peels can help. But these things are promoted to avoid surgery. You are having surgery. A well performed lower blepharoplasty can create a smooth lower lid with a long lasting result.

Most of our patients who have eyelid surgery have both the upper and lower lids done.

Ablative fractional laser resurfacing best for lower eyelid wrinkles

+1

Chemical peeling can work very well for lower eyelid wrinkles. However, chemical peels can go too deep and cause pigmentation and or scarring if not done correctly.

The same holds true for the fractional CO2 lasers, they must be done properly or complications can result.

I personally use the Erbium fractional ablative laser to peel the lower eyelid during blepharoplasty.

The Erbium laser causes less heat injury, usually results in quicker healing, and has less risk of causing the skin to turn white.

The most recent, up to date technique is a combined non-ablative Lux1440 and ablative Lux2940 laser resurfacing. These two fractional Erbium lasers are combined in one treatment and provide excellenmt wrinkle removal and skin rejuvenation with very little risk of scarring or delayed recovery.

You may have to search a while for someone who uses this new technique, however it is an excellent innovation and worth the wait.

The eyelids are very thin and susceptible to scarring if careful technique is not used.

See before and after photos of fractional laser treatment.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/fractional-laser-skin-resurfacing/fractional-laser-skin-resurfacing-is-best-cosmetic-laser-skin-rejuvenation

Difficult to say

+1

Without the benefit of a photo it is hard to say what would work best for you. Most fine superficial wrinkles or even crepey skin is best treated with skin resurfacing by chemical peel or laser. Redundant skin or lower lid bags is best treated by surgical intervention. Ask your surgeon.

Good Luck.