When Can I Have Blepharoplasty After Being off Accutane?

I am a 36 year old female. I have been taking Accutane for about one and half months and will stop taking it at the end of 2 month, early to mid March.

I am considering having both a Blepharoplasty and Rhinoplasty done in mid or late August. Is that enough time to wait since I was not on Accutane for a long period of time? I've been wanting to do these procedures for a very long time and this may be the only opportunity for me to do so.

Wait 6 months to a year after Accutane

+2

If skin rejuvenation is part of the treatment plan, better to wait a year. Accutane can inhibit wound healing, due to its direct effects on dermal appendages that help to heal skin after injury or surgery.

Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Accutane and surgery

+2

Accutane should typically not interfere with the surgeries you are contemplating after a period of 6 months to one year.

The main reason Accutane is dangerous is for laser resurfacing; the laser is very prone to burning the skin of patients who have recently undergone Accutane. The pilosebaceous units have been dried up from laser and the heat from the laser tends to be absorbed by other adjacent tissues, causing burns.

Accutane may also inhibit reepithelialization. Better to wait six months before your proposed surgeries to be safe.

Blepharoplasty After Accutane

+1

Ideally, you should be off accutane 12 months prior to surgery. Consult with 2 -3 board certified plastic surgeons in your area to see if it would be possible to proceed before this time.

Accutane, How Long to Wait

+1

Accutane is a very powerful drug and one I highly recommend for anyone getting acne scars.  It is, however, known to greatly affect the skins ability to heal from certain injuries.  Healing from abrasions, laser resurfacing, and chemical peels is very much a problem while on and for many months after accutane use becuase accutane greatly reduces the number of epidermal cells available to re-cover your skin's surface.

Incisional surgery is different.  The healing ability is not greatly affected by accutane, but I would still wait a few months.  In my opinion, a more significant concern would be the dry eye potential as both accutane and blepharoplasty can cause this.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait 12 months after Accuatne to have blepharoplasty or any elective incisional surgery

+1

Accutane inhibits the growth of sebaceous cells in the skin appendages. These cells are required to produce the new skin cells which are necessary for healing any skin incision or skin wound. Therefore, after taking Accutane the ability of your skin to heal is compromised.

No one knows for certain how long the Accutane effect lasts, but most authorities recommend waiting a year for elective surgeical procedures that require skin healing

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/puffy-eyes-eye-bags/puffy-eyes-bags-under-eyes-and-dark-circles-the-best-removal-techniques/

At least 3-4 month

+1

It is probably best to be off Accutane for at least three to four months prior to embarking on eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) or nasal surgery.

Blepharoplasty 12 months after Accutane

+1

As an opthalmologist and oculo plastic surgeon, I suggest that you consider waiting 12 months. This will allow your body to recovery from dryness and delayed wound healing brought on by Accutane use.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Accutane can significantly effect wound healing

+1

Accutane significantly effects woound healing as it effects the appendages in the skin. Most recommend being off it for at least 6 months, but I would recommend beinf off it for a year. It can cause dry eyes, and you want the effects of it completely gone before having a procedure. It is best to wait to achieve the best results possible.

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Your schedule should be fine

+1

The schedule that you have outlined is a reasonable one for your use of Accutane and proposed Blepharoplasty or Rhinoplasty. Six months after discontinuing your treatment, you should be ready to go. Good luck!

Better to wait least 6 months after Accutane

+1

The consensus regarding this issue is that Accutane impairs healing and that one should wait at least 6 months. However, there are no good studies or evidence backing this waiting period regarding eyelid surgery or rhinoplasty and Accutane. The thickness of the skin and the location of the incisions may also be important factors in the length of this waiting period. However, It is always better to error on the side of caution.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon