Is It Ok to Have a Bladder Lift with a Tummy Tuck to Save Recovery Time?

Having Children at 18 and 20 Again at 36 and 37, I Am Just Getting Back to pre second set weight. I have lost 55 pound and keep it off for 4 months, have turned 60 and want to look as good as I feel! There are bladder issues as well as extra skin from weight loss. Are the two procedures exceptable to be preformed at same time in order to combine recovery time? 

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Are multiple surgeries safe with a tummy tuck?

+3

Thank you for your question

It is not uncommon to have other procedures at the same time as having a tummy tuck.  Sometimes a tummy tuck is combined with hysterectomy and even with C- section.

I have performed combined procedures with obstetricians including the treatment of urinary incontinence and bladder suspension.

If you want to combine your surgeries you simply need to be sure that your doctors feel that it can be done safely.  I would suggest you speak with each of them about your concern and let them give you their opinion.

If each of your surgeons feels that their surgery can be performed safely within an appropriate time frame they will let you know.

Sometimes the hardest part is just getting your surgeons to be able to schedule your surgery at the same time.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery or surgeries.

Web reference: http://www.atcosmetics.com/abdominoplasty/index.html

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Yes, tummy tuck and bladder suspension have been safely performed together.

+3

Yes, these procedures have been and can be safely performed together.  You will need to have your surgeons coordinate their schedules.

Also, there may be a slightly higher risk of infection with the tummy tuck because the uterus and bladder are not technically clean and can have some bacteria associated with them.

When I perform tummy tuck in conjunction with a bladder procedure or hysterectomy, I make  sure I irrigate very well and keep you on antibiotics a little longer than I otherwise would. I also leave the drains in just a bit longer.

Clot prevention is very important too.

Discuss these details and all of your questions with your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Combining surgeries with cosmetic surgery can be okay

+3

Combining other procedures, like a hysterectomy or bladder suspension, can be done safely with a tummy tuck.  Just make sure that you are cleared medically beforehand and I would recommend a hospital setting for both surgeries as you may have a longer procedure requiring an overnight hospital stay for safety.

Web reference: http://marylandcosmeticsurgeryinc.com/body-2/tummy-tuck/

Absolutely

+3

It is very common to combine tummy tuck with other "medically necessary" procedures to reduce overall recovery time for the patient.  The most common combination procedures would be tummy tuck with hysterrectomy or breast reduction.  This works out really well for the patient.  Risks are no higher than they would be if doing the bladder suspension alone.  Make sure your surgeons are supportive of your desires and experienced in doing combined procedures.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures with a tummy tuck

+3

Yes. Many additional and non-cosmetic procedures can be performed in conjunction with a tummy tuck. At my Austin, Texas area practice I often combine procedures for patients looking to limit the number of surgeries they need. My practice is hospital based so it's easy to have a gyn or urology doctor stop in to perform the procedure you need. You usually end up saving some money on the cosmetic portion as your insurance will cover some of the hospital and anesthesia fees including an overnight stay in many cases. The key is making sure the total operative time needed doesn't get too long but in most cases a bladder lift adds an hour or two at most. Best of luck! Dr Kerr

Is It Ok to Have a Bladder Lift with a Tummy Tuck to Save Recovery Time?Answr:

+2

Yes you can. It is done fairly frequently and as long as all of your doctors are anticipating a standard approach (whatever that means!!!) then you should do very well and will be able to consolidate your recovery times..

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Dual procedures often performed

+2

Certainly, many surgeons will perform dual procedures during the same general anesthesia as long as you are healthy and both of your surgeons accept the situation.

Combining abdominoplasty with bladder surgery

+2

Combining abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)  and bladder surgery is not unreasonable.  This is especially true if the bladder surgery is performed through a separate incision.  If the bladder surgery is performed through the tummy tuck incision, then there is a theoretically higher risk for infection. The additional time required is another consideration, as are the logistic considerations.   I would have this discussion with both my doctors.  

Web reference: http://www.bolithomd.com