Bilateral Brachioplasty

Could a doctor please help me understand what it means to have a bilateral brachioplasty?

Brachioplasty or Arm Lift

+3

Bilateral Brachioplasty refers to an operation to reduce the size of skin and soft tissues of the upper arms.  Bilateral typically means Right and Left side of the body ( in this case R. and L. arms) and not scar on both side of the same arm.

This is a very satisfying operation for most patient and is common in patients that have lost massive weight and have excess skin that is unsightly.

It typically leaves an  acceptable scar in the inner portion of the upper arm.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

What is a brachioplasty?

+2

A brachioplasty is essentially an upper arm lift.   In this procedure, the excess hanging skin and fat in the upper arm is removed.  Its the procedure used to correct the common "bat wing" of skin that manifests in patients who have lost a significant amount of weight. 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Arm Lift for Both Arms

+1

Bilateral brachioplasty is an arm lift that’s performed on both arms. The procedure removes excess skin and fat of the upper arm. It typically involves an incision that’s made from the elbow to the armpit. Excess skin is removed in both the transverse and vertical dimensions with this procedure.

The procedure is effective for removing excess arm skin and creates a more shapely arm. Unfortunately, bilateral brachioplasty is often accomplished by adverse scarring.

If you’re considering bilateral brachioplasty, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that’s appropriate for you. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Armlift is also known as a bracioplasty

+1

Bilateral brachioplasty means both (bilateral) armlifts (brachioplasty). So when someone says bilateral that means both  and when someone says bracio that means arm and plasty means to mold.

Laurie Casas, MD

Arm lifting= brachioplasty

+1

This term refers to arm lifting  both arms.

The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. However, this procedure carries a major drawback: difficult scarring that may require scar revision (more so, in my experience, then other procedures).

I have tried placement of the resulting scars in the bicipital  groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles)  as well as a long the inferior–lower aspect of the upper arm. I have found higher patient satisfaction with the latter approach. If the excision can be planned such that the scar falls along the frontal aspect of the lower arm, then the scar may be visible only when the patient raises his/her arms.

As with many plastic surgical procedures, the planning of the incisions and resulting scar line is critical. However, even with attention to detail, the resulting scars may not be ideal and revisionary surgery is  often necessary to improve the appearance (for example, the width) of the scars.

Thank you for the question–I hope this helps.

Arm lift on both arms

+1

Brachioplasty is an arm lift and bilateral means it is on both arms. Generally surgery involves an incision between the arm pit and the elbow.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty

+1

"Bilateral" means both sides. Brachioplasty is the surgical removal of arm skin and tissue. Bilateral Brachioplasty is the removal of skin and tissue on both arms.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

A bilateral brachioplasty is an upper arm lift on both sides

+1

A bilateral (both sides) brachioplasty (arm lift) is the removal of excess, hanging skin ("bat wings") from the upper arms which is often secondary to considerable weight loss but can also be due to age and genetic issues. It typically involves a longitudinal scar down the upper arm to the elbow and a transverse on situated in the armpit. Fat is often removed as well.

The result of the procedure should be a far more attractive, contoured upper arm though the trade-off is a scar that often isn't very aesthetic or inconspicuous.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Brachioplasty is arm contouring

+1

Brachioplasty procedures involve removal of excess skin and fat of the upper arms, often on to forearm and into thearmpit, to achieve better shape and contour of the upper extremity.  The usual candidate for the procedure is someone who has had significant weight loss.  Of all the cosmetic body contouring oprocedures I perform, in my opinion it is the most visible scar.  Prospective patients should have their surgeon during a consultation draw on their arm the location of the scar and show before and after results to weigh the improvement in form vs the scar.  

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Bilateral brachioplasty means an arm lift on both arms.

+1

Bilateral means both sides and brachioplasty means arm lift.  After weight loss, patients can develop loose skin and fat which hangs off the back side of the upper arms.  Commonly referred to as "Bat wings" they are corrected by a brachioplasty which frequently combines liposuction with resection of the excess skin to leave an thinner, improved arm contour.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD