Do I Need to Lose Weight Before Getting an Armlift?

i am 234lbs with very big flabby arms do i need to lose weight before i get a armlift?

Armlift arm reduction brachioplasty arm liposuction massive weight loss excess skin

+2
This is not a simple question to answer without more information. Have you lost weight? How much weight have you lost? Have you had gastric bypass?  What is your height?
If you have lost a significant amount of weight, i.e. more than 100 pounds,  are approximately one year out from your gastric bypass, and your weight is stable, I would say "yes", you can proceed with an armlift or more accurately,  an arm reduction.  The procedure arm lift or arm reduction is also called a brachioplasty.  Typically, an arm reduction or brachioplasty is covered by most medical insurance plans. the procedure takes approximately 2 to 3 hours under general anesthesia. The recovery time is approximately one week.
If you have not lost a significant amount of weight, not had gastric bypass, if your weight fluctuates, and if you are less than 5'8", I would say "no"; you should not have an arm lift or arm reduction.  If this is your case, I would suggest losing weight. Once your weight has been stable for three months, then I would suggest seeking a board-certified experienced plastic surgeon specializing in massive weight loss patients with significant experience in arm reductions or brachioplasties. I hope this helps to clarify your situation. Good luck with your weight-loss journey.

Overweight & Brachioplasty Surgery

+1

It’s not unusual for patients who have loose saggy upper arm skin to be overweight. Ideally we prefer that patients are within 10% of their ideal body weight before proceeding with surgery.

Unfortunately, many patients who would benefit from this procedure aren’t able to reach this point. For this reason we view every patient individually and realize that every patient’s situation is unique.

If you’re over weight and considering brachioplasty surgery, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate. This surgeon will not only help you with your loose arm skin, but help you prepare for surgery as well. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight before surgery

+1

Yes, I always recommend that a patient lose as much weight as possible before any type of cosmetic surgery.  This allows for the best result possible.  If you end up doing the procedure and then losing the weight, you will need to have revisionary surgery because most likely you will end up with loose skin again.

Make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with patients who have had weight loss and who has performed many arm lifting surgeries.  See examples of his/her work and make sure you are comfortable with the experience.

Good Luck!

Lose weight before getting an armlift...

+1

Brachioplasty (armlift) is a procedure designed to remove flabby and sagging skin from the upper arms, which can also help stop underarm skin rashes and irritation.  Before undergoing an arm lift or any kind of body procedure, it is best to lose any weight possible before the procedure, hopefully approaching your target weight.  This will allow the surgeon to remove as much loose skin as possible and give a great result.  Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of experience with the arms and follow their instructions. 

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Stable weight.....

+1

Get to a weight you feel you can maintain after surgery before having it. The results of surgery can change with weight variations afterward.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss prior to arm lift surgery recommended

+1

Although you could have an arm lift performed now, for a variety of reasons it would be best to lose as much of the weight that you may be planning to lose prior to surgery. If you had significant weight loss subsequent to an arm lift, you would redevelop laxity that may benefit from a second (and sooner) arm lift. Your anesthesia risks and risks for healing problems would also be less if you had a substantial weight loss prior to your surgery.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Weight loss before arm lift

+1

I encourage my patients to lose excess weight before any body contouring surgery, including arm lift.  Studies from tummy tuck patients, for example, show significantly increased complications rates when the patient's body weight is above 200 lbs.  Also, as you lose weight, there is usually more skin laxity seen in the trouble area - then the surgeon can do a better job of properly tailoring that loose skin, and giving you a nicer looking final result.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Arm Lift via Vaser Liposuction may help the over weight patient.

+1

In a perfect world we would all be at our ideal chart weight.  Weight loss is ideal but I have done liposuction on arms of people overweight and the results offered significant improvement in function  and in wearing clothes and in appearance.   The Vaser Ultrasonic system helps with skin contraction but there are definite limits.   Arm liposuction is quite easy for patient and doctor and is appreciated by well selected patient.   If weight is then lost, a brachioplasty can be done if necessary.   Many never need the brachioplasty.   Best idea is to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who also is skilled in Vaser procedures.  Hope this helps.   Dr Commons.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift and weight loss

+1

It is always best to lose weight to get to your goal level before underoign any surgery. If you lose more weight after surgery your arms may sag again.

Arm lift after weight loss

+1

You should be close to your ideal weight before entertaining most body contouring procedures, including arm lifts. Weight stability will help your results last longer. In order to remove the ideal amount of loose skin, you should lose the weight first. If you proceed to lose weight after the arm lift, then you may end up with additional skin looseness which could then require revisions.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon