Best Sunscreen for Acne-prone Skin?

I'm using Benzaclin on my face to treat acne. I live in the desert, what's the best sunscreen for my acne-prone skin?

Oil-Free Broad Spectrum Sunscreens are Best

+1

While using Benzaclin you would want to avoid using any sunscreens that have PABA in the ingedients to prevent discoloration that could potentially occur.  My personal favorites that I recommend to my patients are from SkinCeuticals.  The Sheer Physical and the Physical Fusion are great options for acne prone patients who want broad spectrum protection in a light and oil free sunscreen.

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/skinceuticals-austin.html

Depends on Oil Factor

+1

As a rule for acne prone skin, which tends to be oily, I prefer the mineral based, physical sunscreens. These contain micronized zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These tend to sit on top of the skin where they absorb the oils. They also are more environmental friendly and much less absorbed than chemical sunscreens. If your skin is very oily you should try to find a gel.

To give you a few names Solbar Zinc 38, and Blue Lizard Australian Lotion for normal skin. If cost is no factor then my nod goes to Skinceuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30 and Obagi Nu-Derm Physical UV Block and Institut Dermmed Oil Free Sunscreen. Vanicream Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin and if you have sensitive skin. Oily skin Purpose Redness Reducing Moisturizer SPF 30. Jane Iredale Powder Me also is a good choice.

For oily skin Mexoryl Xl gel by La Roche Posay is recommended here. It contains ecamsole which protects in the short UVA range and is the first new chemical in sunscreens in 17 years.

Neutragena Ultra Sheer with Helioplex is a good sunscreen if you are not concerned about the Oxybenzone controversy.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist