Best Laser Treatment for Acne?

Hello my name is Jorge i had a couple of IPL laser treatments for acne, it has improved a little bit but still not very effective.

Many viable options for acne treatment, including lasers

+2

We disagree wholeheartedly with the statement that "lasers do not work for acne". In fact, if you look at the before and after pictures on Realself and at Celibre, you will find exactly the opposite.

As with many medical procedures, what may work well for one patient may not work for another. This is especially true for acne. Most of the acne patients we see in our practice have tried over the counter products, antibiotics and many even accutane. For one reason or another, after using all of these, they have chosen lasers as their next option.

While we agree that lasers do not work for all patients, we survey each and every patient that goes through our practice (we have over 3,000 patients) and between 70% and 80% are happy with the improvement they received from acne laser treatments.

In addition, over 95% say that they will refer us to friends and family. We do not believe that we could achieve this kind of patient satisfaction without providing a valuable service. While the results are far from perfect, they are very much in line or better than many other acne treatment options.

We disagree with making a blanket statement that "laser do not work for acne" in large part because there are so many devices available that there is no way possible to try them all.

For example, we find that photodynamic therapy with amino levulanic acid is much more effective for lighter skin types using a pulsed dye laser to activate the ALA. But there is no way to know this unless you have and know how to use a pulsed dye laser.

We also use q-switched laser to kill acne bacteria to treat active acne, while using the Aramis Erbium glass laser to shrink the sebaceous gland (the same function as accutane).

In summary, the proof is in the results, and we have achieved the results that show how effective our protocols are for treating acne with lasers. Whatever you decide for your acne condition, make sure to have several consultations with different treatment programs before making your choice.

Acne treatment

+2

Isolaz is my favorite. The new model allows for extraction of the pore content, light based treatment of the skin, and topical infusion of acne meds.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologist

Isolaz and Cooltouch my favorites

+2

I cannot tell too much from the picture, but it looks like papular and cystic acne, and that you have ethnic, darker skin.

For you, I'd use Cooltouch. It is safe for all skin types. Cooltouch C3 laser heats the sebaceous glands to shrink them, while stimulating collagen production to reduce scars.

My second choice would be Isolaz which combines pneumatic suction to clean the pores with blue light to kill bacteria and IPL to reduce redness.

Good luck.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Lasers not effective for acne

+1

There is no laser treatment that I find is effective for acne. Photodynamic therapy and blue light produce only minimal improvement, if any. IPL treats the red discoloraions after the acne resolves only and doesn't treat acne. 

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon