Best Diet and Exercise Regimen After Liposuction?

I had total body liposuction 2 weeks ago. I stayed the same weight at 1st week, but now at 2 weeks I'm up 3 pounds from my pre-op weight. I am swollen everywhere except my arms. I would like to know what foods are best at this time to reduce inflammation and swelling and not to continue gaining weight?

Diet and exercise after liposuction

+1
You should ask your surgeon for their advice, however these are some things that may help with swelling:

drink plenty of water and go to the washroom regularly
leisurely move around to help your circulation
cut back on sodium 
eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit

Avoid the Scale for 1 Month after Liposuction Surgery

+1

KZZKZZ, it’s important to remember that liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure. Best for removing small pockets of fat, liposuction gives patients better body contour and a shapelier silhouette, but is not meant to help you lose pounds. I do understand, though, that seeing the scale move upward from your pre-surgery weight after having fat removed can be disappointing. I tell patients to avoid the scale for 1 month after surgery because the body is in healing mode from surgery stress and can cause you to retain water (which could translate to increased pounds). Once the body realizes you are fine the water will come off.  Maintaining a balanced diet and following your doctor’s prescribed post-op instructions will also help you on the right track toward a healthy recovery.

David Whiteman, MD

Don't worry about your weight for 2 months.

+1

Hi! You had a lot of liposuction and I am sure you have a LOT of swelling and retained fluid. So short term weight shifts don't mean anything. You can avoid salt and be as active as possible, but basically it is a matter of time.

In 2 to 3 months, you will hopefully see much improved CONTOUR and SHAPE. But long term weight gain or loss is independent of liposuction. In Manhattan, we don't try to make people thinner with liposuction, just better shaped.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction is unlikely to control weight

+1

I know it is very discouraging to many however it is quite true that liposuction is a very poor solution to weight control. Liposuction is beneficial as a contouring procedure, though total body liposuction is very unlikely to have a lasting impact on body weight. If you continue to live as you did before your procedure you will notice a continued upward creep in your body weight. True, the fat cells removed will never come back, but your body has plenty more both under the skin and around the internal organs where it can be stored.

You are in need of help. My office staff enjoy a show out your way called the biggest loser. I suggest you Google the website where I am told they share stories of support, exercise and diet secrets used on the program, and also explore other organisations which will be of help with your weight problem.

You have just made an investment in yourself and you should see it through. Take control and take your life back. You are well worth it.

peterejohnsonmd