Benefites and Side Effects of Radiesse Vs Juvederm?

Radiesse Versus Juvederm

+1

Both Radiesse and Juvederm are capable of producing excellent and natural looking results. The choice of filler really depends on the objective of the treatment. Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler which hydrates and augments tissue. It is ideal for lip enhancements as well as wrinkles.

Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxyapatite particles which allows it to provide a greater degree of firmness and support for designated treatment areas. It is ideal for filling creases and issues that require more structural support (e.g. jowls, undereye hollows and even corrections on the nose)

Side effects of Juvederm and Radiesse include slight bruising and swelling. And some patients may experience allergic reactions to hyaluronic acid. With Radiesse, there is also the potential for lumps to develop. But this really depends on the skill and experience of the practitioner.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

I use both Radiesse and Juvederm but they are not comparable IMHO.  Juvederm is thinner and meant to be injected into the layers of the skin for lip augmentation and shallow NLF's.  Radiesse and Perlane are thicker fillers that can be placed into the deeper fatty tissues for deep NLF's and facial shaping of the cheeks, chin and jaw line.  It's importnat to remember that there's no inmherent magic in any filler.  The magic must reside in the MD's ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Choosing Radiesse vs Juvederm

+1

When comparing Radiesse to the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, it is important to understand the difference between "stimulatory" fillers and "wrinkle" fillers”. When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse. It is injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. It works by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why it is so effective for problems due to volume loss, and gives longer-lasting results too. Hyaluronic acid gels like Juvederm are used as wrinkle fillers because they are injected more superficially, being injected in the skin rather than beneath it. I often use Radiesse for my first time patients if I feel it is the best, longest lasting filler to correct their problem. The video link below shows me injecting my wife with Radiesse into the lower cheeks, marionette lines, and jaw line!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse vs. Juvederm

+1

If a patient has had fillers before or if they are sure about what they want I will use different fillers as I feel they are best used for the specific need. I sometimes prefer Restylane and Perlane as my fillers for first timers. There is some overlap where I might use either/or and then do what the patient prefers after discussing the pros and cons. Radiesse lasts longer and is more cost effective when treating deep coarse lines or when trying to replace fairly large amount of volume. It also seems to have more substance for "tougher jobs". That being said, Perlane is a little softer and can be used for many of the same purposes and can be dissolved. I use Restylane as my favorite for lips, tear troughs and finer lines and use a lot less juvederm for this but think they are fairly equivalent in all areas other than below eyes. I do not use juvederm in eye area as I feel that there is more of a chance of it showing through the skin giving a bruise-like appearance. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Radiesse vs Juvederm or Restylane

+1

For first timers receiving a filler, I will always use Juvederm or Restylane/Perlane.  As mentioned previously, if there is any concern with the appearance, it can be treated and removed easily.  Furthermore, Juvederm and Restylane last up to 6 months, and Radiesse up to a year; I think that patients should be experienced with the appearance of fillers from a previous treatment before seeking the longer-lasting filler. 

Some say that Radiesse can cause a more stone-faced or stiff appearance, but I have had fantastic results with both types of fillers.  Also, there are areas considered off-limits to Radiesse, such as the lips and around the eyes, so if this is an area you want treated then you will have to use Juvederm or Restylane.  It is okay to use both simultaneously for different areas if need be, although this may be a more expensive route depending upon how much product you require.

DGC

Disclaimer: This posting is intended to provide information to the original poster, but it is not intended to substitute for the advice of your personal physician. An in-person consultation is recommended for all patients considering medical and cosmetic therapies.

Dornechia George Carter, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Radiesse and Juvederm are both good products.

+1

Radiesse and Juvederm are both good fillers. Cosmetic surgeons have different opinions on which they prefer. Most will agree that Juvederm is better for the lips and underneath the eyes. Many surgeons use either for the cheeks.

My personal opinion is that I prefer Juvederm (and Restylane). They are each a hyaluronic acid gel. The advantages of this is that some or all of it can be instantly dissolved if you have a small bump or, for some reason you are not completely happy with the result. Radiesse will go away eventually, but it can not be instantly dissolved.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon