Will I Benefit from Liposuction? 15 Lbs. Lost This Year (photo)

Hello all, I am 20 years old, I weigh 140lbs, I'm 5'4'' & I have lost about 15lbs over the past year. I want my tummy to be flat & tighter, I went in for a consultation the other day & was recommended liposuction. But I am afraid of loose skin. I would like to know your opinion: Would I benefit from liposuction??

Liposuction is a good option for tummies!

+2

From your photos, I think liposuction is a good option for you.  You are motivated and young and should go through the liposuction procedure very well.  Expect to pay about 5000-6000 for a special on lipo on your abdominal area and be sure to do it under local tumescent technique with the micro canulas for the best results and skin tightening.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Candidate for liposuction

+2
From your photographs, and your age it would appear that liposuction alone would give you the desired results. It would be unusual for someone as young as yourself without a history of significant weight loss to require any sort of skin excision. You have the benefit of youth and elastic skin that almost always contracts down after liposuction.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction should help

+2

There are generally three components to dealing with an unsightly tummy: removal of skin, fat and tightening laxity that generally results from pregnancy.  Liposuction will remove only the excess fat, while a tummy tuck will also remove the excess skin and tighten the underlying muscles.  Most 20 year olds have excellent skin tone, and therefore, recover very well from liposuction.  If you have been pregnant, exercise can help to tighten the muscle under some circumstances, but sometimes this also requires an operation.  Pregnancy can also result in extra skin that won't recover very well from liposuction.  Then a tummy tuck would be in order.  Many women will judge the amount of extra skin by bending forward at the waist as you have in your photos.  There has to be a little extra skin in this pose or you wouldn't be able to stand up straight.  

I suspect you would do fine with liposuction judging only by your photographs.  At your age, the added benefit from a tummy tuck are unlikely to be worth the long scar.  Hope this helps!

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2

Your skin looks to be very good in the photograph.  I think you would get a result you'd be very happy with from liposuction.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. You may be a good candidate for liposuction surgery but this determination can only be made after direct examination to assess the quality of skin elasticity  and to discuss your goals in detail.

I would suggest in person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. In the meantime,  keep up the good work!

Body sculpting after weight loss, Smart Lipo, Tickle lipo,Vaser lipo, Tummy tuck

+1

You do have excess skin and fatty tissue in your tummy area. You could have liposuction which would reduce the amount of fat but you would still have excess skin or none of the available liposuction procedures cause that much skin contraction. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate

+1

Being that you are young, and you don't seem to have stretch marks, you are a great candidate for liposuction. You will definitely get a better shape to your midsection. The younger you are, the more elasticity you have in your skin. Also, with you only being 21, you may want to stay away from a tummy tuck since you are still in child bearing years. It is ideal to be at a comfortable, goal weight before considering any type of surgery as the doctor can get more of the hard to lose fat once your weight had plateaued.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1

If you have good skin tone and elasticity you may be a good candidate for liposuction. If you have loose skin and stretch marks, a tummy tuck may be the better procedure. A board certified plastic surgeon can easily determine which is best for you during an examination and consultation. It is difficult to make this determination based on the photos alone.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

For patients such as yourself, the key question is how well will your skin contract after stand alone liposuction. Liposuction alone will definitely shape you very nicely and based only on the photos it would appear your skin would contract reasonably well and not leave you with a fold of skin. Hovever, if you do have significant laxity and correcting that is a large priority of yours then a Tummy Tuck might be the better operation. The liposuction has the benefit of less scarring and a more rapid recovery. You surgeon should help you to evaluate the pros and cons of each approach. Best of Luck Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Liposuction after weight loss

+1

Based on the photos and your age only, I think you would benefit from liposuction alone.  A physical exam and a little more about your history would be necessary (as others have mentioned, have you had any pregnancies or past weight loss before? Is your weight stable? ...)  Good luck! 

Michelle Spring, MD