5 weeks post-op Rhinoplasty, why can't I breathe? Has my cartilage collapsed? (photos)

I had an open rhinoplasty more than 5 weeks ago and I still can’t breathe, especially through my right nostril. I have to breathe through my mouth most of the time. I can breathe a little better when I lay down. I also have stitch abscesses, so the entrance of my nostrils are swollen and pus is still coming out (PS said it'll get better). I am afraid my cartilage has collapsed, especially on the right side, what do you think?

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are a concerned with what you feel especially with the difficulty breathing especially through your right nostril.
Nonetheless, at 5 weeks post surgery swelling is not uncommon and every patient is a little different than the other hence the possibility of explaining your symptoms.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. 

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS