Will Brown Areas After BBL Flake Off?

Yesterday, I had my first full facial BBL treatment (similar to an IPL). I have fair, freckly skin. 24 hours later, my freckles and age spots and areas I did not even know I had spots have turned chocolate brown. My face is covered in large brown areas resembling potting soil or coffee ground stains. I assume this is normal, but it is alarming. Does it usually start to flake off within 5-7 days? I also have two spots that have turned a maroon-purple color and are not brown (looks like magenta marker spots). Is this normal?

After BBL for brown spots, the spots will darken and then flake off

+1
What you're describing sounds perfect. It sounds like you've had a good response to the treatment, with the spots turning darker and looking patchy.  You should expect these spots to flake off approximately one week to 10 days after treatment.  I think you will be quite pleased with the results.  Though you will see marked improvement with one session, typically, three sessions, spaced two weeks apart are required for most effective removal of brown spots. Enjoy you're new, more even skin!

Coffee ground spots after IPL means it's working

+1

Those spots will fall off on their own, revealing less spotty skin beneath.  You will be happy with this.

No need for alarm, sometimes a mild exfoliating cleanser can help speed the removal of these spots a little.

Stay out of the sun while you are healing, use sunscreen and wait for the younger looking skin to emerge!

Daniel J. Ladd Jr., DO
Austin Dermatologist

Brown flakes after BBL or IPL

+1

Darkening of brown spots such as freckles and lentigos followed by flaking off over a period of 7-14 days is a normal response. Make sure to be wearing sunscreen while your skin is healing and gently washing with a non-scrub cleanser.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon