Will Brown Areas After BBL Flake Off?

Yesterday, I had my first full facial BBL treatment (similar to an IPL). I have fair, freckly skin. 24 hours later, my freckles and age spots and areas I did not even know I had spots have turned chocolate brown. My face is covered in large brown areas resembling potting soil or coffee ground stains. I assume this is normal, but it is alarming. Does it usually start to flake off within 5-7 days? I also have two spots that have turned a maroon-purple color and are not brown (looks like magenta marker spots). Is this normal?

Coffee ground spots after IPL means it's working

+1

Those spots will fall off on their own, revealing less spotty skin beneath.  You will be happy with this.

No need for alarm, sometimes a mild exfoliating cleanser can help speed the removal of these spots a little.

Stay out of the sun while you are healing, use sunscreen and wait for the younger looking skin to emerge!

Austin Dermatologist

Brown flakes after BBL or IPL

+1

Darkening of brown spots such as freckles and lentigos followed by flaking off over a period of 7-14 days is a normal response. Make sure to be wearing sunscreen while your skin is healing and gently washing with a non-scrub cleanser.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon