Swelling and Redness After IPL?

Had IPL two days ago on my face. Left side, I have a red area and the size of a dime it is very red and looks like it could scab. The left side is swollen. I have been putting ice every hour for 15 min. Is this normal and could the dark area scar?

IPL results

+1

You should not be having symptoms of persistent swelling and redness two days after treatment with IPL alone.  You should also not have areas which appear to be scabbing over. 

IPL/BBL usually involves only mild tingling and warm sensation with slight redness of the treated areas for 30 minutes or so following the treatment.

I would recommend that you return to the physician who treated you so that he can fully assess your face and help manage any injuries you may have sustained to your facial skin.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gentle Waves and Biafine

+1

Without a photograph it is difficult to see how much damage was done.

My suggestion would be to return to the deermatologist or plastic surgeon ( or their office) who performed the procedure. They can utilize a couple of Gentle Waves treatments which will help the healing.

In addtion, I would recommend Biafine which was originally developed in France for radiation burns.

Finally, Heliocare which is derived from a fern, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Zinc might help healing.

Using all these methods, should prevent a scar or discoloration.

Good luck.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist