I barely have cartilage in my nose tip, what can be done and how much will it cost?

So over the years I noticed that my nose tip was very squishy and can be easily moved around. It seemed as if there is no support at all in the tip. When I smile my nose moves and points downward which looks sorts weird. I like the overall shape of my nose but not the tip. It looks normal when I'm not smiling, but when I do it just points down. What can be done to the tip and around how much would it cost?

Rhinoplasty candidate for tip rhinoplasty vs full rhinoplasty

+1
Without a full set of pictures, it is impossible to give an opinion on whether the tip rhinoplasty alone or a full rhinoplasty as necessary. In our practice, the majority of patients must undergo full rhinoplasty rather than just the tip due to the relationships of the cartilages bone and skin of the nose. To prevent the tip from drooping when smiling and talking, releasing the depressor septi ligament can be performed at same time as the rhinoplasty. For many examples, please see the links below

+1
A tip rhinoplasty may be appropriate but an exam would be necessary to confirm.

Nasal tip

+1
You could enhance your nasal tip and support it with a rhinoplasty and cartilage grafting.   Surgical fees vary from areat to area.  See a board certified surgeon well trained and experienced in rhinoplasty.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Nasal tip surgery

+1
The cartilage in the tip of your nose is probably there but not supportive.  Soft cartilages typically need the nasal tip support addressed in order to decrease the movement of the tip when smiling and to further define the tip.  Regarding the cost of the rhinoplasty, it would be highly variable depending on where you live and the expertise of the surgeon.

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Rhinoplasty for Support

+1
It sounds like you would benefit by a tip rhinoplasty where cartilage is added by a columellar strut to give the tip more support and resist displacement with facial motion. Expect to pay $4000 to $4500 total cost for the procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Weak Nasal Tip

+1
Lack of nasal tip support is a very common concern.  The tip can be strengthened and your concern of it moving downward with smiling or talking can be fixed.  Please consult with a board certified specialist with rhinoplasty who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you might look like afterwards and serve as an important tool for communicating with your surgeon.  

Kimberly Lee, MD

Tip rhinoplasty for problems of the tip of the nose

+1
IT sounds like you might want to consider a tip rhinoplasty procedure.  In this procedure, the surgeon takes cartilage (or if you're in Asia, implants more commonly) from once place in the body (septum of the nose, ears, or the ribs) and uses that cartilage to create a better shape to the tip.  This takes skill and experience on the part of the surgeon, and patience and education on the part of the patient.  Be sure to find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for this purpose.  Costs vary depending on where in the world you are, as low as $1000 in some countries, and as much as $25000 with experienced internationally known surgeons in US and Europe.

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon