Bald Spot from Mid Facelift Inciscion in Temple?

My temporal incision is about 4-5 weeks old from complications and removal of looplift its healing okay, it's red but has alot of hairloss around it not just where the scar is. Would women's rogaine help my hair grow back faster is it safe or could it negatively effect my scar healing?

Bald Spot from Mid Facelift Incision in Temple?

+1

Thank you for your question. Typically, the hair returns, but if there is permanently hair loss one year later, consider a hair transfer from your neck area in the back of your head. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear Meow,

Thank you for your question.  Hair in normal scalp that has been moved or traumatized can have hair loss.  The hair follicles are all put to the fall-out stage and are at rest.  This is called 'shock loss'.  It take 3-6 months for these hairs to start growing back, but could be a year before they are mature.  On the scar itself, there will not be hairgrowth.  I would wait to see what grows over this time.  The scar itself could be treated with hair transplant.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplantation is a Better Answer

+1

Women's Rogaine may be helpful.  The best solution would be to allow the area to completely heal.  After complete healing, the strong consideration should be given to hair transplantation.  Seek a consult from a PS that is experienced with hair transplantation.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

In area of hair loss in the Temple after a facelift really shouldn't happen but will probably take care of itself.

+1

Trauma to the scalp can cause temporary loss of hair. This should recover in the use of a product like Rogaine may be beneficial. Facelifts however should be designed to minimize trauma to the scalp and avoid this problem.

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. 4-5 weeks is still soon after your surgery, and it can take some time for hair to return to an area where you experiencing loss following surgery. I would give it at least 6 months, and possibly longer depending on your individual circumstances. Rogaine may help. If the hair does not grow back on its own, the best options would generally be the following:

1) Rogaine, or a similar hair re-growth product containing Minoxodil
2) Hair Transplant surgery. Follecular unit transplantation (FUT) yields a great result.

The Rogaine will not negatively affect your scar healing, but I would give it some time before trying the product. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bald spot after midface incision

+1

I think it is likely that the "shocked" hair follicles will recover, with patience and without treatment.  however, I see no risk of being proactive and using Rogaine for women.  But best check with your doctor to be sure that he is comfortable with this.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Rogaine for bald spot after facelift

+1

Rogaine is safe.  Yes ok to use it if your doc agrees.  You should not have gotten a bald spot.  This is very rare.  Did you have an infection?   I am not a fan of the loop lift.   I feel it does very very little and the effects are rapidly gone.  If one has minimal expectations, it may suffice.  Better to get a real midface lift that has durability and results and RARELY are there any bale spots.   Talk to your surgeon.   I always recommend surgeons that are FACS fellows and ABPS boarded doctors.   Do your homework always.  MY best,  DR C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Balding after Midface Lift

+1

Because it is not uncommon to have temporary mild hair loss around scalp incisions, most surgeons would recommend a watchful waiting approach. It may take 3-6 months for the "shocked" hair follicles to recover but most of them routinely do. Discuss your concerns with your facelift surgeon.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss around Facelift Incision

+1

Thank you for the question. It is possible, though not common, to experience obvious hair loss around facelift or midface lift incisions. If the area is red, there could be an inflammatory or infectious process which has damaged or "shocked" the hair follicles. Close follow up with your surgeon is required. In some cases, rogaine or other treatments may help with hair restoration.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

If it is still red, I would not do anything without consulting your surgeon.  Rogaine may help.  Scar revision to remove the hairless area may be the least expensive option over hair transplants or something of that nature.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA