Bad Results from Lipo on Buffalo Hump - What Now?

I developed a buffalo hump after hydrocortisone therapy, and using DHEA. I went to a dr. who used "lipodissolve" which didn't work, so he told me he would do liposuction, since I had already paid him a lot of money. He never did a buffalo hump before. He had a very difficult time moving the cannula through because he said it was so "fibrous". After 45 mins. he said he couldn't get any more out. I now still have a sizable hump. What went wrong? What should I do now?

Buffalo Hump ad Liposuction

+1

Sometimes liposuction cannot remove fibrous tissue of this area, but I have not had difficulty with this.  It is more strenuous on the surgeon.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Buffalo hump lipo

+1

I agree with Dr Kraft. I think its important to knwo that this area does not respond very well to Liposuction and its better to have it evaluated by MRI just to make sure this is not anything but a fatty growth. surgical excision is better but will leave a scar

Misbah Khan, MD

Liposuction of a buffalo hump

+1

A buffalo hump is difficult to suction because it is very fibrous. Sometimes it is better to perform direct excision but it leaves a significant scar on the back.

Failed Liposuction Treatment of Buffalo Hump Deformity

+1

Buffalo hump deformities can be difficult to extract by liposuction as they have a high fibrous tissue content. This may have been exacerbated by the previous lipodissolve injections causing greater fibrosis. Either a liposuction approach using an energy-assisted approach like laser or vaser or an open excisional approach needs to be done. The most assured method is going to be an open excision.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Buffalo hump liposuction

+1
A fibrous or diffuse lipoma is not easy to remove. I do not recommend lipodissolve for this; it does require formal excision. I cannot imagine why your surgeon was unable to remove more of the mass. My first question is whether you saw a board certified plastic surgeon. Secondly, were you sent for an MRI prior to surgery to evaluate the mass?

Robert L. Kraft, MD