Should I avoid microdermabrasion if I have broken capillaries on my face?

Consulting With A Board Certified Aesthetic Physician Is The Best Way Of Tailoring A Skin Treatment Plan

+1

Microdermabrasion, is as the name clearly suggests, a kind of very superficial abrasion, or epidermabrasion, of the skin surface. It is best for removal of dead surface skin cells, dirt, grease, grime and environmental pollutants. In my experience little more can be expected from this given its very superficial nature. For this reason, home cleansing devices, like Clarisonic and all kinds of home microdermabrasion kits are commercially available.

In my experience, microdermabrasion yields little more than a slightly improved smoothness in texture and a healthier glow to the skin--not much different than that which could be achieved with Buf-Pufs, Loofahs, and even a vigorously used wash cloth. I likewise have not been particularly impressed with the results of professional microdermabrasion.

Since your question gives no indication of what condition you are treating--whether acne or wrinkles or skin discolorations, it is impossible to suggest what might be a more effective and more appropriate course of action. For fine wrinkles, for example, a series of mild chemical peels, Botox, or fillers might be appropriate. For mottled discolorations, it might be the combined use of certain peels and home prescription medications. For acne scars, it might be subcision and fractional microneedling. As for the "broken blood vessels," these, in my experience, are best treated with a series of radiowave treatments, which quickly gets rid of these unwanted and superfluous nuisances. The point is that a consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience with all the various modalities available for the whole gamut of skin problems might prove a better investment in time and money. Consultation with a board certified dermatologist is the best way to tailor a treatment plan to your specific concerns.

+1

Microdermabrasion is an electronic form of mechanical exfoliation of the skin that utilizes micro-crystals or crushed diamonds to “sand” the surface of the skin. For certain skin conditions like rosacea or broken capillaries, microdermabrasion is contraindicated. Please see your doctor to discuss other exfoliation treatment options.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist