I'm Considering Microdermabrasion to Help Lessen my Melasma. Can It Be Performed by a Doctor or a Technician?

I'm considering microdermabrasion to help lessen the severity of my melasma. I'm fair skinned and the spot is between my brows and on up to the center of my forehead. It isn't terribly noticeable with makeup, but is still a huge source of concern. I despise it and want it gone! With Micro is it best to have it performed by a medical professional or an Esthetician? Can you help lead me in the right direction on how to find a trained professional in my area? Thank you!

Microdermabrasion performed usually by trained, certified Aestheticians

+1

Microdermabrasion is a very safe, enjoyable, and relaxing procedure for the most part -- considered by most to be an excellent skin health treatment.  It is usually performed by a certified, licensed Aesthetician.  Many aestheticians work under medical supervision (i.e., supervising MD) and, as such, can perform deeper skin treatments.  Check out ZendyBeauty.com for those who work under Board Certified supervision and for best prices.

Melasma is a challenging issue as it can be related to hormones -- you may need more than microdermabrasion to address this.  Fractional erbium laser resurfacing as well as some types of chemical peels have been effective for melasma.

Who performs microdermabrasion

+1

Microdermabrasion is most often performed by a technician, nurse, or aesthetician, regardless of whether it's done in a spa or a physician's office. I don't know a single physician who does the procedure himself/herself. The devices used will be different, as well as any topicals applied during or post-procedure, with higher-grade medical products used at a doctor's office. If you look on realself.com it will show physicians in your area who offer microdermabrasion. That's a good way to start looking for the best place to go.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Microdermabrasion can be performed both medically and in spas

+1

Microdermabrasion can be performed both medically and in spas.  It is a very safe procedure if performed correctly.  In medical offices it can be performed more deeply than in spas, usually by registered nurses.  In spas they are performed by estheticians.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon