How is the Y-Lift Different Form a "Liquid Facelift"?

The Y Lift® procedure, according to Dr trokel's website,: "is performed using a specialized titanium instrument which is inserted beneath the skin and then maneuvered throughout designated parts of the facial region to instantly lift and contour..." What exactly is the titanium instrument? Is it similar to liposuction, laser lipo,... The doctors on here so far do not really discuss this part of the procedure, but only go on to talk about how it is really just like getting HA fillers injected.

The Y Lift is different because it places fillers deeper, for stronger support and more natural-looking results

Thank you for your question. You want to know the difference between a Y Lift™ and a liquid facelift, and I can certainly help you with this as I am the first physician to be trained in the Y Lift™ method by the inventor of the Y Lift™ himself, and I routinely perform the Y Lift™ in my offices in Manhattan and Long Island. I’m also a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic surgeon, practicing for over 20 years.

A liquid facelift was a concept that came out many years ago, and the term “facelift” has been reinterpreted in so many ways, from so many different perceptions. Essentially, for a cosmetic surgeon, a facelift is a surgical procedure done to restore definition and angularity to the face and to bring everything upwards. This somewhat overlaps with the Y Lift™, except that there is no surgery involved.

With the Y Lift™method, we add volume deep into the structural level of the face, below the muscle and near the bone. Dermatologists do not go into this area, but cosmetic and oculoplastic surgeons like myself routinely deal with this area and are very familiar with it.

Liquid facelifts offered by dermatologists and the like usually consist of an artful combination of a neurotoxin like Botox or Dysport, and fillers like Radiesse, Juvederm, or Restylane. These are usually added in areas of the face where there is volume loss, but is limited to the soft tissue areas of the dermis (the backbone of the skin) and the subcutaneous layer. The problem with soft tissue volumizing is that it can make people look pillowy or doughy, which doesn’t make someone look younger.

A young face has structure, so with the Y Lift™, we try to achieve this structure by placing a long-lasting filler, like Juvederm or Voluma, into the deeper levels of the face in a very specific way to improve the angularity and definition of the cheekbones, the vertical aspect of the jaw, the jawline, and the chin, so you end up with the appearance of a facelift. The procedure is so precise, elegant and effective, that even our own colleagues in cosmetic surgery are in disbelief that it is not a surgical procedure.

The Y Lift™ does require a lot of filler, and this tends to make people hesitate. But if you understand facial volume loss, and the fact that we’re putting it at a structural level, it is actually not that much.

So, for your case, I would suggest meeting with a doctor who performs the Y Lift™ and learn more about the procedure to determine if it’s right for you. Keep in mind you don’t necessarily have to get the full procedure. If there are certain areas of your face that don’t need enhancement, you can forgo those and focus on the ones that need it. That’s the beauty about this method—you can choose to use it on specific areas of your face. So far, the results we’ve have with this procedure have been very transformative and has filled in the gap between people who only need volume, and people who need surgical lifting.

We’ve found that the ideal candidate for the Y Lift™ is usually a woman in her mid-40s, who is fit and healthy, and has good overall structure but has lost volume. However, we have also been able to treat women as young as mid-30s to 60s, and have successfully helped them to look their best. Ultimately, it all depends on the individual’s facial anatomy.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Y lift vs liquid

Surgeon techniques differ, as do results, bedside manner, and experience That said, look for someone who is board certified in plastic surgery; meet with a PS and find someone with whom you are comfortable. Please don't get lost in the specifics of a procedure. Many of my colleagues cannot agree on a specific way to address issues. Your interest should be the final result. How you get there is the partnership between you and your plastic surgeon.

It seems the Y lift is not different from a "liquid facelift", but a type of "liquid facelift".  Many surgeons will coin a phrase to differentiate their particular technique of the use of fillers- this one appears to use a special instrument for administration of the filler.  This doesn't mean it's good or bad, better or worse- discuss the procedure with your surgeon and if  you both feel that it will achieve your goals, don't worry about the name.  

Cannula Is Blunt Instead of Sharp for This Technique

The only difference between this technique and injecting fillers is that this technique uses a blunt cannula and fillers in the past used sharp needles.

The Y-lift is just another name someone put on an attempt to correct sagging of the face. After looking it up on Google, it appears to be a filler using a different needle or cannula (a needle without a point). then he injects a hyalurponic acid filler as Restylane or Juvederm. Basically he is revolumizing the face with a temporary filler. The name "Liquid facelift" was first used for the product Sculptra, and excellent product. Re-volumizing the face can lift as well, but it is not a facelift by any means.

In people who have more volume loss than loss of elasticity, re-volumizing can be very effective. The Y-lift looks to me like nothing special. Titanium is a light-weight metal and will offer no advantage over other metals used for cannulas.

Cannulas, such as the Dermasculpt micro-cannula, for injecting fillers are quite common and widely used by plastic surgeons.

The Y lift

Yeah, yeah,  yeah, I've heard it all before.  trust me there is no  "magic" out there although many would have you think there is.  Most facelifts are essentially the same.  Cutting around the ears and pulling the skin tight.  Except for the so called liquid facelift, which is not a true facelift but just involves fattening your face up with fillers.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Y-lift not a lift at all, but rather a fill.

The various forms of liquid lift are great providing the patient realizes that you cannot get the reduction of extra skin or long term contouring to the neck unless you do something else as well.

In addition, when you look at the sites that show photos of techniques, you need to look for post treatment pictures that are taken after three months to decide the extent of durability and effectiveness. 

A sunburn or beating the face with a fly-swatter will make the face look more youthful for five days!!!

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Read and re read the expert previous posters comments! Dr Trokel has done a GREAT self promotion of "HIS" specialized techniques for voluminization of the face with fillers. This is NOTHING new and it is NOT a surgical lifting only an increase in volume with fillers. I might add fat instead of HA fillers and than call it the FAT Y- LIFT, lol.  

Y lift is basically a "liquid facelift"

A Y lift procedure is basically the same thing as a "liquid facelift".  Dr. Trokel uses cannulas to inject facial fillers into the cheeks and jawline.  The product is injected deeply using cannulas (the titanium instrument) to provide volume that can support the facial tissue and provide a subtle lift to the face.  The concept is the same as a liquid facelift, which is to use volume in the face to elevate the cheeks and provide a more youthful appearance to the face.  The deep placement of the filler can be accomplished with cannulas or a needle. 

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Volume Enhancement with Fillers

There really is no difference between the two facial procedures. Both achieve their effects by adding voluminization of the face with hyaluronic fillers. There are some instrumentation differences but the only real difference is in the name.