Facelift 43 Years Old?

I went to a consultation for a facelift. I do not have any wrinkles yet, but don't like the very beginnings of sagging I see in the mouth area. The dr. recommended a facelift with upper/lower eyelid surgery. I was very surprised when I got the estimate, and it said that the surgery would last 8 and 1/2 hours! Is it normal for a face lift in a young woman to last that long? No neck lift and no brow lift. Thank you!

Facelift in the early 40s

+2

Thanks for your question.  The timing of a facelift is not dependent on someone's age but rather the features of the face.  If the cheeks have begun to droop, the jowls have appeared, and the neck has developed loose skin with lack of contour then a facelift may be indicated even if someone is in their early 40s.  There are different types of facelifts however.  There isn't one surgery which is a facelift.  Some facelift procedures are more involved than others and the more involved ones typically take longer and provide for a more dramatic improvement.  In a younger patient however the most aggressive facelifts typically aren't needed.  A mini-lift with SMAS plication may be all that is needed to give a nice improvement with minimal scarring.  This often gives a nice change which allows for more graceful aging and since it is a less involved procedure has a quicker recovery.  Good luck.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 43 years old

+2

Operating times will vary, and really depend on your individual circumstances, but a facelift with upper and lower eyelid surgery does not generally last 8.5 hours. This is especially the case with a younger patient who does not appear to have many issues. Time in surgery can vary depending on:

1) Complexity of your particular case
2) Amount of work that is necessary to reach the pre-established goals of the surgeon and patient

Did your surgeon give you a rundown of what would be performed during surgery that would cause it to last that long? If you are not comfortable with the information you received, I would recommend seeking a second opinion. I hope this helps and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

43 Year Old Can Get Great Facelift Results

+2

A facelift is not a one size fits all procedure and should therefore be customized to address each patient's unique facial anatomy. At your age, most patients still maintain the intrinsic elasticity of their skin, have not lost significant facial volume, and do not have advanced photo-damaged skin. These factors mean that for younger patients like you, a targeted lift for an isolated problem (i.e. jowls) can achieve fantastic results in the hands of the right surgeon.

Your question specifically refers to the length of your surgery. Without knowing exactly what your surgeon intends to do, it is difficult to give a definitive answer. However, in my experience, most surgeons would be able to accomplish the procedures you describe in considerably less time than you were quoted. When in doubt, seek another opinion. I hope this helps.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a facelift right for you?

+2

At your age, you may be a candidate for a facelift.  People age very differently so it is difficult to give you an opinion based on your age alone.  Facelifts that are done with a SMAS technique, which in my opinion gives the most natural and lasting results, will take the amount of time you have been told.  You should consider that while a smaller procedure, such as a minilift, could provide some improvement, the results may not be as significant or long lasting.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Facelift in early forties

+2

Everyone ages at a different pace depending on a variety of factors.  There are many women in their early forties that show early jowls and laxity in the neck that would benefit from a facelift.  Typically, facelifts in younger patients give a nice, natural result.  The length of time for the operation can vary per surgeon.  Eight hours is a on the long side, but ultimately it is the end result that matters most.  Most important, you should feel comfortable and confident in your surgeon. 

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at a younger age

+1

Performing a facelift on a woman of your age is quite reasonable if you have some of the early changes that would benefit from the surgery.  The maneuvers performed in a young person can be very similar to those in an older woman- same incisions, same sutures, just less to lift or less skin to remove.  The time taken for the operation is therefore similar regardless of age.

The operation you mention usually takes me about 5.5 to 6 hours, but there will be a variability of time taken by different surgeons- I'm sure there are faster and slower surgeons than me.

I would concentrate more on the results your surgeon tells you to expect, examples of his previous patients of similar age, and his reputation.  Of course, make certain  he is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

A Facelift with Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery

+1

There are a few experts in facelift who take more than 6 hours in a facelift, and their results are excellent.   A facelift with upper and lower eyelids would take me 2.5 hours in the average person. 

Facelift and 40's

+1

A facelift usually includes neck work. everyone works at different speeds and the  most important thing is to get a good result.  Good luck.

Time required to perfrom a facelift

+1

You are probably on the young side of the spectrum for a facelift but this may however be appropriate in your case. Typically the procedures you describe would take 3-4 hours to perform at one sitting. Speak to your surgeon again to clarify the surgical plan and consider a second opinion if you are unsure. Attached here is a video that talks about what a facelift can and cannot do. 

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift & blepharoplasty at age 43

+1

A facelift or upper blepharoplasty surgery in our office takes about 3-1/2 hours.  We perform the procedure under general anesthesia in our Medicare certified ambulatory surgery center setting. The general anesthesia is performed by a board certified anesthesiologist. 43 years of age is still a little bit on the young side for getting a facelift unless there is a significant amount of loose facial skin present.