Can the Bulging Skin Near the Incision on Face After Mole Removal Become Flat? (photo)

I had protuding mole removed on my face about 10 days ago. One is removed via shave excision. Another one is near my nasolabial fold,removed via scalpel incision with stitches. There is a bulge near the incision. Is it happen because of the suturing are too tight? Could it be flat again by time? What should I do to minimize the bulging skin and scar? I remove the stitches in 5 days. When should I start using silicone gel? I'm still using antibiotic gel.

Dog Ears

+2

The problem does not appear to be sutures that were tied to tightly but dog ears, on both ends. These are caused when there is excess skin at tips of the excision. The excess skin puckers outwards and causes a protrusion at the end...in your case both ends, the upper end being more pronounced. Oftentimes, on the face especially, these will settle down, especially if they are small. I suspect in your case, however, you will need a dog ear repair. This is a rather simple procedure, and will only result in a small lengthening of your scar. While there is no particular hurry, I would recommend you consult with a dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon for the revision.  

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Mole removal

+2

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible revision.

Sam Naficy, MD

Scar

+2

You seem to have what we call dog ears at the end of the scar.

You may improve with time some. But See a board certified Plastic Surgeon for revision and advise

Treatment of a mole removal scar to make it soften

+1

Time will mend this scar.  However, I would begin aggressive post surgery massage and topical treatment.  I would also use a pulsed dye laser and ablative laser to improve final results. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS