Best Area to Take Fat from for Fat Transfer?

Thighs or abdomen?

Best area: where there is excess fat

+1

The there is no best area.  The area that would benefit most from fat removal should be first in line.  Areas that have not had liposuction previously should be next.  Finally, I prefer the abdomen if all things being equal as I have found the fat here to be a little softer. 

Dr Repta

Best areas to harvest fat

+1

Hi there-

This would be individually variable, but in general, fat grafted from the areas of your body where it is the most "stubborn" and difficult for you to get rid of with exercise should be the most successful.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Best area for fat grafting

+1

There are studies that have shown that no areas dominate in regards to fat survival with fat grafting. I have found certain areas that are better. The side of the legs has been great but so has the abdomen. It really depends on your body type.  There are many things that also go into making fat grafting work.  It takes experience.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best place to harvest fat for fat grafting

+1

There's no one place that the best location to harvest fat for facial fat grafting. Ideally, the harvest location is easily accessible during the procedure whlie at the same time providing a plentiful source of fat. Many times this includes the abdomen, inner thighs or hips.

I like to ask patients what areas they feel have "stubborn" fat as this is often an indication that the fat will be less susceptible to weigh loss fluctuations.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Best fat for transfer is stubborn fat

+1

Fat cells from different parts of the body will behave differently depending on the individual, and they retain this characteristic after transfer. For example, if you have  "pear" body, the outer thighs will have stubborn fat that should last well when transferred.

Richard Baxter, MD

Best Area to Harvest Fat for Grafting

+1

Each surgeon will have his/her preferences, but my first choice is the lower abdomen followed by the inner thigh.

Best area to harvest fat

+1

In general, I try to harvest fat from an area that has fat available that would be non-deforming to take, resists shrinking with weight loss, and is readily accessible with the patient lying on their back.

Usually, lower belly is my first choice, with outer thighs being #2.

Mike Nayak

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon