Fat Grafting Candidate With Extremely Thin Skin Under Eye?

I have fair, thin and translucent skin under my eye, but have hollowing I would like to fix with fat grafting. Is it possible to have a good outcome in someone with super thin skin. Will the fat show through my see through skin?

Fat Grafting is best option for Hollow Eye and Thin Skin

+1

Filler injections in Thin Eyelid Skin can cause lumps and visible grey irregularities and should be avoided.

Fat grafting of an intact Fat Graft under direct vision during a Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty with Arcus Marginalis Release plumps the hollow eye and lessens the shadow and reduces the translucent appearance of the thin skin.

The graft is placed beneath the eyelid muscle and septum so irregularities are less likely than with filler injections which are difficult to place accurately.

See link below for more information.

Fat grafting in the lower eyelid with thin skin

+1

Fat grafting can be great for you. The thin skin can sometimes make the results more difficult to achieve. But you have to either accept the thin hollow lower eyelid skin or go with the fat grafting. Fat grafting can be done with this anatomy and you can get great results. But I would go to someone with experience.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, not IMHO.  Fat grafting is still unreliable and there's no way to predict how much will remain after it's injected.  In very thin skin, the fat can appear lumpy and bumpy.  I'd suggest tryiing a reliable soft tissue filler that's realtively thin preferably placed through the lower eyelid to avoid the superficial vessels just below the skin.  Restylane or Juvederm would be ny first choice.

Fat grafting for the under-eye area with thin skin

+1

This is a very challenging area to treat with fat grafting.  There's little margin for error here, and any lumpiness or irregularity in the fat grafting, even in the best of hands, may show.

If you were my sister, I'd probably tell you to use a hyaluronic gel product, rather than fat grafting.  That way, if you don't like the result, it can be "erased" with an injection of hyaluronidase enzyme.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Well-performed Injectable Filler treatments may be employed to reduce the appearance of lower eyelid hollowing.

+1

I read your concern:

In my practice, Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results, may be used to correct lower eyelid hollowing. Thin skin may increase your risk of bruising or experiencing visible product at your injection site.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Fat Grafting Under Eyes

+1

Fat grafting is certainly a powerful tool to reshape the face. You are correct to be concerned about placing fat in areas where the skin is thin. Contouring in the infraorbital region requires significant experience and judgment.  I suggest you visit a plastic surgeon who has experience in this area to find out if you are a candidate. I have found that very few patients have skin so thin that they cannot benefit from fat grafting in the infraorbital region.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Fat Grafting for Infra-Orbital Grooves

+1

I am a big fan of fat grafting for the past 25 years, but  using fat to fill infra-orbital groves is difficult. Make sure your surgeon has experience with this technique. If you have any doubts, use a temporary filler such as Restylane which will improve your appearance for approximately 1 year and can be reversed.

Tear trough fat grafting

+1

It is good that you are approaching this with caution. Even the best and most experienced surgeons agree that this area is sacred and need to be treated with respect. With that said, none of us actually have seen a picture of YOU.... So I willl reserve my opinion until you post your photos. I would consider it if after reviewing your photos and explaining the risks we agreed to be conservative, always more could be added. Visibility of the graft would likely make you unhappy. We hope you get back on and post your photos.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

No you are not a fat grafting candidate.

+1

Please do not let someone experiment on your eyelids.  We know the end result.  Lumps, bumps and much unhappiness.  Fat grafting the lower eyelid is not a great procedure to begin with.  The key for it to even remotely work is the ability to hide grafted fat under thicker skin and in fat layers.  If you have thin skin and a think lower eyelid, no matter how good those Newport Beach surgeons are at blowing smoke in your direction, you are have very high risk of having an unsatisfactory result.  That is probably why you are posting on this site.  Somewhere in your brain you know this sounds too good to be true.  Please listen to that intutition.

Risky proposition

+1

I am a big fan of fat grafting, but under thin skin in the infra orbital position is quite risky for visible grafts.  There are worse things than looking older, so I am very careful around that anatomic area.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon