Area on Cheeks That Was Pulled Back During Facelift Still Gray in Color?

I had a traditional face lift and neck lift 4 weeks ago. The skin on my cheeks are still light grey in color from the flap that was created during the surgery (area from chin to upper check extending from side of face to midline between nose and edge at hairline). The grey color does not look like a bruise, which have for the most part have gone away, however the grey color is even and very noticeable. Is this normal and what is causing this?

Discoloration after Facelift

+1

This may be a perfectly normal part of the healing process, but your surgeon needs to know about this right away.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Healing time after a facelift can be prolonged

+1

There is extensive swelling and bruising after a facelift procedure that may take months to resolve. Be patient and stay in close contact with your surgeon.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Grey Color to Skin at 4 Weeks after Facelift

+1

The grey color to the skin may be the result of decreased circulation to that area of the flap rather than a bruise.  This may have been to what your surgeon was referring.  If the skin is viable at 4 weeks, this discoloration should resolve.

Bruising after facelift

+1

The side effects of a facelift, which can vary depending on the type of facelift that was performed and the severity of the patient's issues, may include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Temporary numbness
4) Nerve injury that is usually temporary but can sometimes be permanent

From what it sounds like, you have some residual bruising which can turn a different color as it comes toward the surface of the skin. This is something that will resolve itself over time, and is normal following your surgery. I would recommend discussing any concerns with your surgeon, as he or she will be able to provide you with advice. Thank you and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gray cheek after facelift

+1

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to have some early changes of the facial skin after a facelift. The color that you are describing is likely due to some bruising that is working its way to the surface before it resolves completely. I would suspect that this will resolve without needing to do anything, and would give it some more time.

If you are concerned, I would check with your plastic surgeon who could examine your face.

Best of luck with the rest of your facelift recovery

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Discoloration after face lift surgery

+1

The grey color is most likely residual bruising that has worked its way to the surface.  This should clear eventually with help from mother nature and time.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

John Q. Cook, MD

Cheeks gray after facelift

+1

My educated guess is that this is normal bruising after the procedure you had.  Of course, it is reasonable to ask your surgeon his/her opinion.  I doubt that you will have any need for hyperbaric oxygen or any type of laser when patience will work just as well.  Good luck.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Gray Color After Facelift

+1

What you are describing could be a result of a slight decrease in vascularity. Theoretically, this should resolve on its own but it is always best to check in with your surgeon and inquire about utilizing hyperbaric oxygen. If you are experiencing remnant bruising, a laser may help you resolve this issue.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD