What's the Approximate Death Rate for Women from Complications After Breast Augmentation?

I read a report on MSNBC about a cheerleader who died after she had her breasts done. What are the fatal complications?

Any surgical procedure carries risk, but the risk can be managed

The only case I know about that sounds like the one you mentioned was from 2008 in Florida.  Although I could not find out much other than what was published at the time, reports when it happened were that she died from a condition known as "Malignant Hyperthermia".  That condition is hereditary, and reflects a severe sensitivity to anesthetics.

Malignant Hyperthermia is rare, and most surgeons (and surgery centers) have never seen it, although we all know about it.  It can occur with IV sedation, and even with local anesthesia when combined with anesthetic gasses.  In my mind, the most important thing you can do to mitigate this risk, as well as all of the other risks of anesthesia, is have your surgery at a surgery center where they are ready to deal with it if it occurs.  Aside from supportive care, the most important aspect of treatment is a large amount of a very expensive drug.  Unfortunately, the drug also has an expiration date, and needs to be replaced periodically, even if it is not used.  Therefore, not every surgery center may have it on the premises.

That is one of the reasons why a larger surgery center, especially one associated with a hospital, may be a good choice.  In addition to having all of the drugs that may be needed, and being under far higher scrutiny than any independent surgery center or doctor's office, a larger surgery center is likely to have more professionals available to help deal with an unexpected problem.

I would also say that I disagree with the notion that IV sedation is safer than general anesthesia.  Most anesthetic problems result from difficulty with the airway, and there are not as many choices in dealing with the airway, and not as much control of the airway, when a patient is not under general anesthesia.  For myself, when I was having my colonoscopy, I selected general anesthesia because I truly believe that it is safer than IV sedation, at least when conducted by a physician anesthesiologist in a busy, well run, and well stocked surgery center.

However, even if you and your anesthesiologist choose IV sedation, I would recommend that you use a physician anesthesiologist, who is there during the entire procedure, and who is ready to convert to general anesthesia if needed.  This is not the right place to cut corners to save a few dollars.