Can You Apply Heat to a Seroma?

My Dad has developed a very large seroma on the right side of his abdomen post back surgery. This area is very swollen and uncomfortable. Will applying heat help the discomfort and speed up natural healing of the area?

Treatment of seromas

+1

The usual treatment for a seroma is activity restriction and application of a compressive garment. Heat application is not likely to have any affect. Larger or recurrent seromas require drainage either by needle and syringe or placement of a drainage tube.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Seroma

+1

A seroma is usually a collection of fluid. If it is a small amount, it often will rsorb. Sometimes, it needs to be aspirated.  I do not think that warm compressed will make it better.