Nervous About Anesthesia for Breast Augmentation?

I'm really nervous about my upcoming breast augmentation. My PS will only use general and not local anesthesia like I was hoping. I have little kids at home and although the risk maybe be slight, I don't want to be that unlucky person where there was a complication. I have thought about this for a few years and the only thing holding me back was fear of not waking up. My questions is this If I have been under general before without complication (wisdom teeth and d&c) will I be ok this time?!

Anesthesia risk

Hi,

This is a very common question. As long as you are a healthy patient, the risks of general anesthesia are very low. Statistically, it is much safer than driving your car on the highway. Complications do occur, but they are rare. The main concern for anesthesia risks are your underlying health status and the complexity / duration of the surgery. As long as the planned surgery is under six hours and the estimated blood loss is not significant, the surgery should be very safe. A typical breast augmentation takes me under an hour to perform using general anesthesia. We use an CRNA who has 30+ years of experience. Just like flying, it is very safe, despite the risks and fears. Best to you. 

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Anesthesia

Ok...well the truth about anesthesia is that it is extremely safe, if you do it correctly. It is advised to have your surgery done in a surgery center with a board-certified anesthesiologist. Ask a lot of questions and make sure you trust your doctor and good luck.

Rady Rahban, MD

Safety of Anesthesia used during Breast Augmentation Surgery

Your concerns are relatively common among men and women seeking cosmetic surgery, so don't feel bad for having these feelings. I've attached a great link for additional information written by our Board Certified Anesthesiologist which may help address your concerns.

Many anesthesiologists realize that patients can be nervous, and will take the time to address your concerns prior to your surgery. Knowing how they intend to handle your surgery can often lessen the anxiety you feel. Our surgery center often arranges for a fearful patient to meet and speak with their anesthesiologist well in advance of their procedure so anxiety will not build. You might try calling your surgeon to see if he or she can help arrange this for you.

In the meantime, try reading the attached article. And, you might also read my article entitled "I'm afraid of anesthesia...is the 'awake' method good for me?" which can be found in my December 2009 blog article.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hi! Thank you for your question,

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Being skeptical about anesthesia is very common among patients. Anesthesia today is actually safer than it has ever been before. There are risks to anesthesia, but it is very rare. As long as you are healthy and follow the proper instructions that the surgeon and anesthesiologist has advised to you, then you have nothing to worry about. Also, make sure your anesthesiologist is board certified.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Anesthesia is very safe

Our number one concern when performing elective cosmetic surgery is patient safety.  It is extremely important that you do your home work regarding your plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider and surgical facility.  All should be board certified, fully accredited and experienced in performing breast enhancement surgery.

I would recommend talking to the anesthesia provider BEFORE your procedure about your concerns, your plastic surgeon can arrange a telephone conversation to help alleviate your anxiety.  Modern anesthesia is actually very safe, your chance of dying from a lightening strike or a shark attack is higher than dying from anesthesia!

It really makes no difference if you have a local/sedation/general anesthetic, as long as you have a board certified anesthesia provider at the head of the table taking care of you, you should be fine.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia is safe, but not risk-free

Thanks for your question. Of course you are nervous about having anesthesia. That is absolutely normal. Truthfully it is safer for a healthy person to have general anesthesia than it is to drive to their consult. Make sure you have a board certified anesthesiologist and that your surgery is being done at an accredited facility. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

General anesthesia vs IV sedation safety

General anesthesia is very safe in the hands of a Bd Certified Anesthesiologist, but IV sedation is a little safer. Unexpected mortality happens in about 1 out of 16,000 general anesthesia cases. I prefer IV sedation with tumescent type xylocaine/Marcaine infiltration because it facilitates the dissection, reduces the bleeding to essentially nothing and provides 24 hrs. of pain freedom post-op and it saves the patient over $1500. I have done over 40,000 IV sedation procedures in my career. If I had done all those under general anesthesia I would have had two deaths by now, Instead I haven't even had to hospitalize a single patient.  Dr Foster  Lake Tahoe Plastic Surgery

Lawrence Foster, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Sedation With Local versus General

Breast augmentations are routinely performed safely with either intravenous sedation and local anesthesia or general anesthesia with little if any difference in the experience or recovery for the patient...it really should be your choice!!!  You should make sure any PS you choose is using a Board Certified Anesthesiologist with experience in an Accredited Surgical Facility and you should be O.K.  Make sure you're comfortable with your decision and enjoy the results... 

Eric Sadeh, MD

Anesthesia

Your worries are normal. In my past, I used general anesthesia for 25 years without an incident related to the anesthetic. The procedure has a great track record. Make sure you are in an accredited facility and go for it. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia Safety

Although some operations are appropriate under local anesthesia, breast augmentation is not one of them.  It is quite difficult to create the pocket of adequate size and position for a good result without added sedation.

Some surgeons do this under a twilight sedation and local, however, I feel it is much safe under a deeper sedation or general anesthesia.  Some of the reasons are the following:

• Board certified MD anesthesiologists do this every day and rarely have any problems in healthy patients.
  • Accredited surgery centers have all the proper monitoring to insure a very safe experience.
  • General anesthesia allows for good airway protection.  This is the most common problem which might arise during a local anesthesia.
  • If any unusual reactions occur, it is much easier to remedy them while under a general anesthesia.
  • General anesthesia allows the surgeon full ability to control bleeding and to get full exposure of the surgical site. (not so with local)
  • Statistically, you are much much safer under a general anesthesia for a breast augmentation than if done under a local.

Martin O'Toole, MD