How Effective is Incision-less Otoplasty? What Are the Average Costs? Where Could I Get It Done?

The top of my ears stick out a bit and I was wondering if I could get incision-less otoplasty done. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Incision-less otoplasty

+1

There have been no long term studies of incisionless otoplasty so it is impossible to tell how effective it is.  It is not well accepted in the plastic surgery community.  The traditional otoplasty procedure involves an incision approximately ½ inch long behind the ears giving a very fixed and stable result with minimal amount of touchup.

Incision-less Otoplasty vs Conventional Methods

+1

My best advice is to pick the surgeon and not the technique. Few surgeons use the incision-less technique as it is a "blind" technique though this may be effective in the right hands.  Make sure you look for long term results. Most otoplasties can be done with limited incisions (minimally invasive) behind the ears allowing for direct visualization and greater control in reshaping the ear cartilage until you have the right shape with the sutures used just to insure it remains in this shape during the healing period and also allowing for skin re-draping on the changed ear cartilage framework .

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Incisionless otoplasty

+1

Ther are many different techniques for otoplasty.  All the ones I am familiar with involve the incision being placed behind the ear.  The scar heals almost imperceptibly and is completely hidden from view.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Otoplasty to treat protruding upper ears

+1

There are many ways of treating ears that stick out a little bit. I prefer using a technique that involves placing an incision behind the ear to allow access to the area that needs to be treated. The scar is normally very well hidden and I find that it allows for great result durability.

For adults the procedure can be done in an office procedure room with local numbing medication. This saves you the cost of operating room and anesthesiologist fees. The procedure fee itself varies depending on what needs to be done exactly but typically ranges from $2500-4000 or so (for both ears).

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Incisionless Otoplasty is a great option for certain changes in the ears.

+1

Incisionless otoplasty can re-shape the ears with the same effectiveness as open approaches for certain changes.  I often use a combination of open and incisionless techniques to fully reshape the ears.  Costs range depending on anesthesia and how much correction is necessary.  A consultation is the best way to see what is required for your specific needs.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon