Sports After Otoplasty?

When can I start go to gym, swimming, and running after otoplasty? I'm a month after my surgery... And I'm crazy without sports!!

Exercise after Otoplasty

The time when you can begin exercising again depends on what specifically was done during your Otoplasty procedure.  I'd recommend contacting your surgeon and asking what he/she recommends.  

However, I typically ask my patients to refrain from vigorous exercise for 2 weeks.  That is because they could develop a Seroma, or fluid collection, under the skin of the ear.  Seromas can be difficult to treat.  After that, they may begin exercising again. Obviously, its wise to avoid sports in which you could injure the ear, like basketball, football or boxing, but running or swimming should be safe at 1 month.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

8080 Park Meadows Drive
Lone Tree, CO 80045

Timing of sports after otoplasty

I would definitely ask this question of your surgeon and follow his or her instructions.  In most cases, I would think that you should be able to exercise a month after your otoplasty.  But again, check with your surgeon just to make sure.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

500 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

Otoplasty and activity

I like to have patients wear ear protection for one month after ear surgery. I release my patients to no contact sports at one month and contact sports at 6 to eight weeks. You should discuss your activity level with your surgeon

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

1561 Creekside Drive
Folsom, CA 95630

Exercise after otoplasty

One month postop, I would not see contraindications to exercising.  The only thing I would encourage you to delay would be full contact sports.  However, as in all procedures, you should defer to the recommendation of your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Post operative instructions and what to do after plastic surgical otoplasty/ear surgery

Your surgery is generally too invasive. It is important to minimize manipulation around the ear to avoid ripping out sutures thus diminishing the postoperative result. I say to my patients that they can start exercising after a day or so as long as they do not "bare down", holding their breath while they're extremely straining to lift heavy weights and lying down to do stomach exercise etc. What is important, however, is to don a ski cap or headband to keep the ears closely pressed against the head while you were sleeping. This is to prevent inadvertent separation of the sutures when turning her head on the pillow while sleeping. You must wear this for approximately 6 weeks.

Randal Haworth, MD

465 North Roxbury Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Otoplasty and Exercise

At one month after your otoplasty surgery, you should be able to return to any non-contact sporting activity. I would wait a full three months before participating in sports where you have to wear a helmet or have a high likelihood of sustaining trauma to the ears.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032