Do You Agree with my Decision for 650cc Saline Implants Under the Muscle? (Photo)

Surgery is 3 weeks away and I just wanted a second opinion. Plastic surgeon and I agreed on 650cc moderate profile Mentor saline implant under the muscle. I really don't want upper pole fullness so should I change anything before surgery or does the plan sound good? I would like the end result to be a natural looking small to mid D. Thanks for any advice! 5'7 135 lbs B cup

Saline Implants under the muscle

+2

It is a general rule that 175 cc of volume will increase your breasts by one cup size. You say you want natural looking small to mid D breasts. If you receive saline 650 cc implants, you will go up by almost 4 cup sizes and will not look natural. You have a slender body and will look out of proportion with such large implants ( and you will definitely have upper pole fullness). I would not recommend going larger than 400-450 cc (especially with saline implants which are a litttle more firm and projecting). A good way to test sizes is to get a D bra with no padding and then put rice into panty hose (1 oz rice is 30 cc). So 650 cc of volume woud be around 22 oz of rice. Put the "rice sizers" into the bra and see what you think. I suspect that you will find that it is far too much volume for your frame.

Regards,

Daniel A. Medalie, MD

Web reference: http://www.ClevelandPlasticSurgery.com

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Is 650cc Too Big?

+2

Dear Vixengal,

I appreciate the photo with your height and weight. Based on this information without an exam....yes, I think 650cc is too big for you. Have you tried using sizers to determine how large you want to be? They can be helpful in determining what a patient considers a "small to mid D" and what I may consider that to be. I would suggest something smaller in the 400-450 range. Besides that, I think you are exposing yourself to a higher risk of post-op complications including the double-bubble, bottoming out and diminished nipple sensitivity. We as experienced BCPS should not be afraid to help and guide our patients to make better choices when it comes to sizing. What the patient wants is not always in their best interest. I would strongly recommend that you revisit the sizing issue with your surgeon before you proceed with surgery.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/dr-gervais

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

650cc

+2

650cc is a pretty generous size for you, if you’re a B and would like to be a nice natural D 650 cc will take you bigger than that. 225 cc usually is about one cup size. It's your choice on what size you want we just want you to know the facts. Good luck

Large Implants

+2

You are going to get tons of upper pole fulness, don't let the moderate profile fool you.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  Large implants, in your case inappropriately large implants for your anatomy, always create upper pole fulness regardless of profile, and will never leave anything remotely 'natural' in appearance.  In addition to significant upper pole fulness, the implants you are contemplating put you at risk for malposition, double bubble, and severe rippling.

You should reconsider the whole concept of 'I want... ' a particular cup size, and instead allow the surgeon to tell you what implant fits your anatomy.  This will substantially reduce your risk of complications by 10 fold, and give you a long lasting result.

Just take a look at the other posts about women and their problems after surgery; this website is full with them, unfortunately.  90% could have been avoided with proper implant sizing.

Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

You need to select your size carefully.

+2

Here is a quick way to see if your very large implant size selection is realistic. Get a second opinion with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

We have our patients measured in the office and implants are offered based upon the existing breast dimensions.. Then we provide a bra and try-on implants to arrive at a size comfortable for the patient and the surgeon. I can not envision that a 650cc. saline implant would appear natural or flattering, looking at your photo.

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+2
I am going to join the chorus. 650 cc implants are very large. I am concerned that your breast pockets will not be large enough to accommodate this size and also that implants that big will certainly produce significant upper pole volume. I agree that 450 cc would be far more appropriate. You should revisit your decision with your plastic surgeon in advance of your procedure date.

650cc Implants seem too big for your body

+2

650cc implants are very large implants and will 100% give you upper pole fullness. If you don't want upper pole fullness (which I am confused because you say it like it is a "bad" thing), then you may want to reconsider implant size. I agree with my colleagues that 400-500 cc implant is probably more appropriate.  Also, you may need a high profile implant based on your photos.

Implant size

+2

Dear vixengal,

It all comes down to the correct measurment. Your picture shows to me a small A cup breasts and not a B cup as you say. This is not unusual. Many of my patients overestimate their breasts size because of Victoria secret or other such outfits that make their cup size smaller , so that you feel better about yourself.  You did not mention your chest size , but based on your height, lets assume that it is 34 inches. To go from a small 34A to a full 34D  you will need, roughly, 600cc of saline. If your chest size is 32 inches you will need 500cc . A 36 inches will require 700cc.  There is no guaranty, but usualy it is within 1/4 size + or -. I hope that you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who is familiar with measurments.

Dr Widder

Web reference: http://widderplasticsurgery.com

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size and Upper Pole Fullness

+2

At that saline implant size for your frame, you most definitely are going to have substantial upper pole fullness. That implant is too big with too wide of base for your body frame given what your breast goals are. You need to discuss this again with your plastic surgeon as there is a conceptual mismatch between that implant size and your image of the result. Most likely you need to have a smaller implant size (450 to 500cc) and consider switching to a shaped silicone gel implant if you want to avoid a lot of upper pole fullness.

Web reference: http://www.eppleybreastaugmentation.com

Implant size selection

+2

I help my patients select the correct size with two methods:

1. Dimensional planning and
2. A Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.