Ask a doctor

After Wearing Braces As a Teen I Still Have an Overbite. Can It Be Fixed Without Jaw Surgery with Extraction? (photo)

I wore braces for 2 years when I was 16. The orthodontist told me that she could reduce my overbite with elastic bands. I wore them religiously and when I have my braces taken off my overbite was not fixed. She did not do any extractions during treatment but I did have all of my wisdom teeth removed at the end of the treatment because she said my teeth would shift if I didn't. Fast forward 7 years I am still unhappy with my smile and bite. Can it be fixed without jaw surgery (w/ extractions) ?

Doctor Answers (3)

Can I be fixed with ortho only?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sometimes upper extractions can allow correction of severe overjets (especially in non-growing patients).  Best bet is to see an orthodontist (not a dentist who does orthodontics)

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Can Overbite be Corrected With Extractions and No Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm not an orthodontist, but I suggest you see one who is experienced and can give you all your options. I don't think your bite can be TOTALLY corrected without jaw surgery, but you might be able to get a satisfactory look with some upper extractions and orthodontics again.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.