After Upper/lower Eyelid Lift Eye Won't Open All the Way? (photo)

Its been 4 months since my upper/lower eyelid lift. My left upper eye won't open all the way and the lid itself did not come down like the other eye. This eye in particular due to skin allergies was very swollen compared to the other and was obviously not opening like the other. So after 2 weeks my surgeon cut it open to see if it was stuck on any scar tissue and also I believe removed a little more skin on the incision. It feels like its partially paralyzed. Is this likely permanent?

After Upper/lower Eyelid Lift Eye Won't Open All the Way?

+1

Preoperative pictures and an exam will be necessary to sort this out.  The ptosis may have not been recognized preoperatively.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Eyelid Position After Surgery

+1

Based on these photographs, your left upper lid is angulated and I don't have any preop pictures to compare. The levator muscle may not be evenly attatched to the tarsus in the affected eyelid. Discuss this with your surgeon. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis post blepharoplasty

+1

The photos look like the patient may have strabismus in the left eye ,altho on lateral views the medial rectus muscles looked ok. Maybe the patient had left eyelid ptosis prior to surgery and it was not diagnosed because of lots of excess tissue in the lid bifore surgery. Perhaps muellers muscle was  damaged during surgery, if so naphconA ophthmology drops might help raise the upper lid. Use 1-2 drops 4 times per day as needed. I have had one patient who had a small stroke after a blepharoplasty, who presented with ptosis,she was a diagnostic challenge.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon