3 Weeks After Receiving Botox, when Can I Massage my Face?

I had Botox 3 weeks ago and like the results. I am still a little nervous, though, when I inadvertently rub my face. When can I safely massage or rub my face (as in a facial) and secondly, when can I assume I am safe from a drooping eyelid?

Facial massaging is OK even the next day after Botox

+1

At three months after Botox you certainly need not be concerned about any drooping.  The botox becomes bound to the needed sites within the day of injection. We limit positional changes and exercise for four hours, which has not even been proven to be necessary, but at one, two and certainly, three months, there will be no risk to moving the botox around by massaging your face.

Can I Massage My Face After Botox?

+1

Hi Sandy.  Not to worry.  The only precaution we suggest is for several hours after the injections, do not get a massage or manipulate the face in any way.  This is only a precaution as Botox binds to the muscle at the injection point very quickly.

3 weeks later it's fine to massage away.  Start as early as the day after your injections.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox

+1

Three weeks after Botox treatment, there is no issue with facial massage as Botox has bound to the appropriate facial muscles.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox

+1

If you're three weeks after Botox injection you can perform all of your usual activities including massaging your face.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

OK to touch your face 3 weeks after Botox treatments

+1

Botox is almost completely absorbed by the target nerve/muscle within one hour.  I recommend that my patients not massage the area for 3 or 4 hours, which errs on the safe side.  Relax, and feel free to resume your normal activities!

Richie L. Lin, MD
Summit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

+1

I tell my patients to avoid steam and massage for week. The chemical in Botox is usually in position after 6 hours so that head movements do not affect results, but massage may be ill advised for a day or two.  

Jeffrey S. Yager, MD

Facial massage after Botox injections

+1
Hi Sandy, Even though the full effects of Botox take anywhere from approximately three to five days for you to notice an improvement in your wrinkles, the Botox is completely taken up by its target (within the junction between your nerves and the muscles that they stimulate) within an hour of injection. So, I would avoid massaging the area, vigorous exercise, and/or lying down for the hour immediately following your Botox injections. Anything (including a facial and/or facial massage) after that hour should be completely fine. Enjoy your Botox (and your facial)!

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Massaging the face after Botox

+1

Botox usually takes about three days before you begin seeing it effects.   After that, rubbing or massaging your face is unlikely to cause any harm.  If you have no eyelid drooping by the first week, you unlikly have it.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Activity

+1

We recommend that you refrain from rubbing or physical activity for 4-6 hours after the injection. The injection will not migrate so feel free to proceed with massage or getting a facial etc. Good luck

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

When to massage after Botox injections

+1

Within 20 to 90 minutes after it is injected, botulinum neurotoxin type A can be detected inside the motor nerve endings. Therefore the muscles and nerve endings take up the Botox or Dysport very quickly before they can spread far from the injection site. Massaging your face any time after this will have no adverse effects.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon