Areola Reduction After Gynecomastia?

After my gynecomastia surgery the areola on the left pectoral muscle sticks out a little bit. Can it be fixed with areola reduction surgery?

Areola reduction after Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

Yes,  areola reduction  can be done,  if necessary, after correction of gynecomastia.  I have found  that this would be the ideal sequence  to do the procedures to avoid complications.

Both of these procedures can technically be done at the same time.  However I have found that correction of gynecomastia and areola reduction surgery done at the same time does carry increased risks  compared to either one of the procedures done separately.  This increased risk is related to decreased blood flow to the nipple/areola.

Sometimes the areola shrinks enough with the  gynecomastia surgery that the areola reduction surgery becomes unnecessary.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Gynecomastia revision

+1

If your areola "sticks out" on one side after gynecomastia surgery, you should wait about one year prior to a revision. The most common cause of this problem is likely due to residual breast tissue just beneath the areola which was left behind at the time of your surgery, likely to avoid an inverted nipple. If the diameter of your areola is normal, then you don't need an areolar reduction, you need to have some more breast tissue deep to the areola removed. This can be done through an incision along the lower edge of the areola.

William Bruno, MD

Could be done, but I would wait for resolution of the swelling

+1

Areolar reduction could be done at any stage. However, I would wait for 6-12 months after surgery to allow for resolution of the swelling and to allow for healing.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS