Is Areola Reduction Quick and Inexpensive?

is it fairly quick and inexpensive to have an areola reduction? and is it ok to do before getting pregnant again? or should it be done after im all done with having kids?

Areola reduction could be fast, sloppy, and with bad scars that stretch with pregnancy!

+3

So if you want poor work, unsightly results, and scars that get worse as your breasts swell with pregnancy and breast feeding, go ahead and find someone who does quick, cheap work. You really don't mean that, do you?  You really mean the best possible result for the least cost needed to get that outcome?

Since the areola scars will indeed stretch with additional pregnancy, as will your breast skin, there is a distinct possibility that you may need a breast lift (mastopexy) after another one or more pregnancies. So having any surgery, however fast and cheap, that will be completely redone (and more) with a periareolar, lollipop, modified, or full Wise-pattern mastopexy seems an ill-advised waste to me. If you were able to convince me that it is only a theoretical possibility that you might have another baby, and that you really want to proceed with an areolar reduction now, I could see it appropriate to proceed, but I would be skilled, careful, precise, and take whatever time it took to do my best work. I would be reasonable in my charges, but not "cheap!"

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

We should look at the cause of the enlarged areola before attempting to correct them.

+2

Enlarged areola have different causes.  The treatment should address the etiology.  Simple areolar enlargement can be addressed with sugery in the office  that leaves a scar around the perimeter of the areola.  Many times, there are other issues that need to be addressed such as breast ptosis(droopy breasts) or tuberous or constricted breasts(snoopy breasts).  These 2 conditions require a breast uplift possibly with implants to achieve an optimal result.  Certainly this scenario is not quick or inexpensive.  Correction of areolar enlargement can be performed before pregnancy, but  there is an increased liklihood of requiring a revision down the road. 

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction Made Simple

+2

Hi and thank you for your question.

Areola reduction can be very simple and can be done under local, meaning just numbing up the skin in the area and performing the procedure in-office.

I would recommend waiting until you are done having kids, otherwise you would be performing the procedure again.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Cost for Areolar Reduction

+1

Wait until you are finished having babies or you just might have to redo your surgery. There are a number of factors that are involved in determining the price;

Areolar reduction prices vary greatly because the s a wide range of due to a number of variables including differing techniques that can be performed. My recommendation is to first find a few qualified surgeon  board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, that you trust, then compare prices between them. 

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctors office? (doctor's office is least expensive)

2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist be used, or an RN? (local anesthesia will save you money)

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best trained (and longest) would be a surgeon board  certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how much will be removed, one or both sides,  will a lift also be done at the same time?, etc.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Areola reduction

+1

Yes, areola reduction surgery can be quick and inexpensive. You should be aware of the potential downsides with the procedure as well.

For example, it is important to know that the areola scar will always be noticeable (some more than others). This may be because the scar heals with too much or too little pigment or because the scar is raised. You should also be aware, that areola reduction surgery does carry other risks such as spreading of the areola, asymmetry, shape irregularity etc. in order to avoid disappointment, it behooves you to be aware of the worse case scenario and, armed with that...  more

Areola reduction

+1

Areola reduction is usually a straightforward procedure.  Like any procedure, there are risks.  There will be a scar around the circumference of your areola.   I would place less emphasis on "quick and inexpensive" and more on "qualified and quality".  It is your body, and this decision should not be taken lightly.

Your question also has to do with timing.  If you are planning on getting pregnant in the near future, it may be best to wait.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Areola reduction is a quick and inexpensive surgery

+1

Patients have many different options for breast contouring. If a patient is interested in changing the shape or size of the areola, and they do not require any other breast work, this may be treated with a quick and inexpensive surgery that may be performed as an outpatient or in the office setting under local anesthesia. Your best bet is to be evaluated by board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in breast surgery. They will be able to inform you of your options and how such a surgery will help meet your aesthetic goals.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Areolar reduction

+1

Areolar reduction is a fairly straightforward procedure. The tradeoff is a scar which encircles the remaining areola. In certain patients, this scar can be more unsightly than the large areola. I would recommend waiting until you have had all the children you want to have. Often times after pregnancy women have droopiness of the breasts. If you were to have a breast lift procedure, the areola reduction could be done at the same time.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Various areolar reduction options

+1

Areolar reduction can be done in a number of ways. Some of these techniques also address droopy breasts. I would consider them after you have completed childbearing. Cost relates to the nature of the procedure.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Areolar reduction is usually straightforward and can be done in the office

+1

If you only want your areolar size reduced, this can usually be easily done in the office with local anesthetic and possible some oral sedation if you are nervous. This should not affect the feeling in the nipple areolar complex. The quality of the skin, will be a function of the skin laxity.

If it is being done as part of having your breasts reduced, then it should be done in the main OR.

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon