Decrease the Size of Areola Without Mastopexy?

I am 21 years old, 135lbs, no pregnancies. I am very unhappy with the look and shape of my areolas. I want a smaller more youthful look, but would rather wait to get a mastopexy later, after pregnancy. Am I a good candidate for a nipple surgery procedure?

Areola reduction is possible, but do you really want scars now?

+10

Certainly you can have periareolar reduction, and careful technique can yield good results. But large areolas cannot be made too tiny, as the circumference of the present areola must be purse-stringed to the new smaller circumference. So there are limitations, and no surgeon, "special sutures," or surgical technique can ignore the rules of dimension. Too much discrepancy equals scar irregularity, and a potentially unsightly scar. What if you decide you don't like the scar, and in fact hate it worse than your present appearance? There is no going back, so I would advise caution. In fact, I might be so bold as to ask why you think your breasts, which appear very pretty in your photo, have a "poor look and shape" and make you want a "smaller and more youthful" look?

You are certainly entitled to feel any way you want about your body, but you may be overly sensitive about breasts that are not only perfectly normal, but really nicely full and extremely attractive for any woman.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction

+4

You do have nicely shaped breast and definitely do not need a lift. There to reduce your areolas will be very simple procedure. It involves making the new areola marking, then remove the skin between the marking and the outter part of your areola now. Then a special suture is passed through and close the area, and now you will have a smaller areola. Hope that makes sense.

It can be done under local anesthesia and you would not need to be put to sleep.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Is a mastopexy needed here.

+3

This photgragh demonstrates enlarged areola and breast asymmetry .    Pregnancy does not always cause ptosis(droop) and you may never require a full  mastopexy.  Breast asymmetry  may also be contributing to your dissatisfaction with your areolar size and position.  The size of the areola can be adjusted with a permanent pursestring suture, however you may wish to address the other aspects of  asymmetry  as well. This should be throughly reviewed with your plastic surgeon. 

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction Now or Later

+2

The very best advice I can give you is to schedule consultations with at least two board certified plastic surgeons and weigh your options carefully.  I agree with what some of the other doctors have observed: your breasts are nicely shaped and proportioned.  And though your areolas may be somewhat larger than "average," they look normal on you.  Your breasts are good sized so the areolas look like a fit, and your areola skin is light in color.  We often work with patients whose areolas are much more "out of whack" than yours.

If you do want areola surgery now, of course it is possible.  A doughnut shaped ring around the outer edge can be removed so the diameter will be reduced.  The nature of your scars after healing is difficult to predict, however, and your areolas may stretch again with pregnancy or just through the aging process. 

These tradeoffs are exactly what you should discuss with a qualified plastic surgeon.  If you are really bothered by your areolas now, it may be a good idea to move forward.  But if you are indeed thinking of a mastopexy later in life, you may want to wait.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Areolar reduction surgery

+2

As has been clearly stated, it is possible to have an areolar reduction without a mastopexy.  This is actually quite similar to a circumareolar mastopexy in technique and eventual scarring.  The outer diameter matches the border of your areola, the inner circle is centered around your nipple measuring a smaller diameter (around 40 mm). 

There are two trade-off's with this procedure

1. The scar.  This is generally of good quality but can look a little like a bulls-eye around your nipple.
  2. There is a little flattening of the central breast.  Generally this improves significantly but may be a subtle permanent change.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Purse string works for areolar reduction

+2

Areolar reduction could be performed without a mastopexy. The focus of the procedure is to make a circular incision around the areola and purse string the areola with a suture that is non absorbable and also hard to feel. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Areolar Reduction is possible

+2

Yes, if your areolae truly a concern to you, they can be reduced in diameter. You would have a scar going all the way around your areola to accomplish this. Although you certainly don't appear to need a mastopexy at this time, if in the future you did, you certainly could, even after a prior areolar reduction.I would also add that your areolae may stretch again during pregnancy -- I would advise to wait until after finishing all childbirth before pursuing this if you can wait.

Nirav Savalia, MD

I do believe you can have areolar reduction alone.

+2

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has lots of experience in breast surgery. In our Santa Rosa, California plastic surgery practice we have performed areolar reduction alone in selected cases with excellent results. It means having a scar around the entire areola, but the areola can be reduced in diameter quite significantly.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Nipple/Areola Reduction

+1
The size of your nipples/areolae can certainly be reduced. Depending on your unique physiology and goals, a reduction in width, length or a combination of both may be performed. The goal of the procedure is to better balance the size of the areola (the darker coloured tissue in the centre of the breast) and the nipple. Accomplishing this provides a pleasing level of aesthetic symmetry that improves the overall look of the breasts.

To determine if you are a suitable candidate please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Areola Reduction

+1

I do think you are a great candidate for areola reduction.  You do not appear to need a breast lift or any other breast procedure.   It is important to understand that there will be an incision/scar around the areola that will fade with time and that there is a risk of sensation change to the nipple also.   I have had great success in areola reduction using a permanent gortex suture to limit stretching or widening of the reduction.

Paul S. Gill, MD