When Can I Fly After Breast Implant Removal?

I need to have my breast implants removed because 1 is leaking. I have had them for 25 years now. I may have the surgery done far away from home and would like to know after how many days I can take a flight back home (its about 14 hours flight)

Flying after breast surgery.

+3

Whether or not you can fly is less important than whether or not you should fly. The issue is follow up from your surgery. How long your postoperative recovery will be depends on many factors: the type (saline/silicone) of the leak, whether a full capsulectomy needs to be done, whether a reaugmentation is planned, if drains are to be placed, etc. Postoperative care is important. Be sure that you have the time and resources to stay in town for a week or two if necessary. Contact your surgeon prior to traveling. You may find it less expensive (and more convenient) to have this performed where you currently live and be closer to your operating surgeon in case of a complication.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal, breast implant replacement

+2

It is better to wait until after two weeks for full activity from any type of cosmetic surgery. However, some of my patients fly as little as a couple of days after surgery. I caution them to be very careful, not lift anything more than 20pounds. The most common problem during the immediate postoperative period is bleeding which occurs in about 5% of the time. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant removal

+2

You should be able to fly soon after the surgery since implant removal is a pretty simple procedure.  However, most surgeons will place a drain at the site of implant removal that may need 5 days of care before removal by a surgeon.  It would be best to stay around for this period of time as  a minimun. 

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Removal of Implants and Flying?

+1

Flying will be safe even a few days after surgery. You need to be aware of the risks of clot formation in the lower extremities and walk frequently during the flight. If drains are used this may prolong your stay.

Having Cosmetic Surgery Done Away From Home

+1

If you are planning to have surgery outside of your city or country, I would recommend spending at least 4 weeks in the area after your surgery.

However, complications can occur even after the first month. Who is going to take care of them at that point?

My recommendation is to have your surgery done with a surgeon who is readily available to you.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Flying After Breast Implant Surgery

+1

Breast surgery alone does not affect your ability to fly. The highest risk when flying after surgery, especially a long flight, is developing blood clots in your legs that could travel to your lungs. I recommend that patients not fly for 2 weeks after surgery. I also recommend that patients get up hourly during the flight and walk up the aisles. You can also do "toe ups", elevating and lowering your heels, while sitting in your seat.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Revision augmentation

+1

If you are going to have a revision to replace your implants, you probably want to stay in the community for a week or two.