How Long After Explant Can I Re-implant?

Dear Doctors, I was explanted with capsulectomy 7 days ago, at my request due to implants being too large (375g/dual plane) and thinking I could return to my previous state. My surgeon recommended a smaller implant, rather than explant. My choice was wrong, and I now wish to do as he advised and have smaller implants "redone"...how long do I need to wait for this procedure after explant? Many thanks!

Waiting after explantation

+3

Sorry that you made the wrong deicision, but you shoudl probably wait four to six months for the breat to assimilate and heal after the impalnts were removed.  Then you can place new smaller implants in the future.

Replacing removed implants

+3

Go ahead and talk to your surgeon about it now.  He or she knows your anatomy and case better than anyone else.  He or she may feel comfortable going back sooner, rather than later.  In general at this stage scar is forming, but is not firm.  Shortly it will begin a phase that it becomes tougher to work with and you have to wait that phase out.

Byron D. Poindexter, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Re-Augmentation Surgery?

+2

It would probably be in your best interest to wait about 6 months before re-augmenting the breasts.

In planning your revisionary breast augmentation procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.  in your case you could use your own before breast-feeding pictures as the goal. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

Replacing breast implants after implant removal

+2

Your situation is not unusual in that after wearing breast implants for a long time, they can be hard to live without. The best opportunity to replace the implants is at the time the old ones were removed and the capsules removed. We would now recommend that you wait about six months to allow the breast to heal, and then replace the implants so that the pocket and breast shape is better controlled.

peterejohnsonmd

Replacing implants

+2

Discuss your options with your surgeon.  I would consider doing the procedure soon in the early stages of wound healing or waiting at least 6 mo. until the scar tissue softens and matures.

Stephen Delia, MD

How Soon for Reimplantation of Breast Implants

+2

Although there are no specific guidelines, I would recommend waiting 3 months. Right now, you are going through an active healing phase that is involved with scar formation and swelling and this needs to settle down before you have any further surgery.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Wait

+2

Now that you are seven days post-op, the internal tissues already are starting to heal. I would want significant healing, scar maturation, swelling reduction, and tissue pliability prior to re-operating. My suggestion would be to wait several months.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

How soon to re-implant after explantation of breast implants

+1

Since you are only seven days out, you can actually have new implants place immediately.  If you must wait longer, then I recommend 6 weeks to allow for most of the swelling to subside in order to achieve a more reliable aesthetic outcome.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Timing for surgical revisions

+1

I would recommend waiting at least 3 months for your tissues to heal.  However, the best time for surgery will depend on how you're healing and you'll need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for this.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Reimplantation after explantation

+1

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you made the wrong decision.  Right now, at 1 week post-op,  the tissues are inflammed and swollen, and are not optimal for re-do surgery.  It's wise to wait until this settles down. 

Most surgeons would recommend about a 3-6 month time period for this.

Thomas Fiala, MD